Thyroid Disorders Community
Is My Body Trying to Tell Me My Thyroid is Failing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi all, I recently made an unexpected trip to the hospital. I woke up early in the twighlight hours to turn on a fan, too two steps and my legs gave out on me and I fell on my face. I tried to get up and fell again, I was unable to stand for a half an hour. I was able to crawl back and hoist myself back into bed and proceeded to get shaky hands and heart racing, and general weakness, I felt bad so bad non specific bad that when I could walk I had someone take me to the E.R. Mind you, earlier I had taken a tylenol 3 for pain from a tooth extraction a few days prior. However, I had taken Tylenol 3 many times over the years and earlier that week during the day and never felt sick, weak or drowsy, this fall scared me to death. The ER doctors ran a battery of tests including blood work which came back with a TSH level of 8.72, T4 Free: 1.37 and T3 Free: 3.4. I was then admitted for more tests, but released after a few heart checks as well.

About 4 years ago I had a routine blood work that came back with a high TSH a few months later my doc reordered another thyroid test and the blood work came back normal. We thought it was a fluke, now I am not so sure. The hospital docs told me I had subclinical hypothyroidism and it doesn't need treatment right now, but have my primary doc repeat the test. I have since looked this up and I have or have had most of the symptoms for the past year. But didn't know what to make of it and planned to have blood work done, after taking care of my dental issues which were more pressing. I plan to see my doc soon, but wonder if I should press for a endocrinologist consult as this is the second blood work in so many years with hypothyroid indicated. I don't know what the numbers where on the first test. But the doc said I was hyperthyroid at the time of the test because of the type of hormone in my blood was so high where my body over corrected a hypothyroid situation and released too much so I must have been hypo in initially. Anyone have any advice? Comments much appreciated, thank you for reading my story.

~WG
We need to know the reference ranges for the Free T3 and Free T4.  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

I have no idea what your doctor was talking about "over correcting" a hypothyroid situation.  

The likely scenario is that you might have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease that attacks and destroys the thyroid.  Hashimoto's is most often associated with hypothyroidism, but in early stages can present with periods of swinging from hyper to hypo, and back.  It ultimately leaves one completely hypo since it destroys thyroid tissue so it can no longer produce hormones.  

The tests you  need to diagnose Hashimoto's are Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab)/  

You should also request a thyroid ultra sound to confirm/rule out nodules, since nodules can sometimes secrete hormones, independently of the thyroid.  Most nodules, however, are not harmful.