Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid ultrasound results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid ultrasound results

I just received my test results from my thyroid ultrasound in which the following was noted. . . In the lower pole of the left lobe, a 2.35 x 1.74 x 1.96 cm heterogeneous mass lesion is identified.  It contains fairly large areas of cystic degeneration within the essentially solid stroma.  There is peripheral vascularity and some increased vascularity as well.  No calcifications.  In the mid on-thir of the gland, slightly above the  the larger mass lesion, there is a hypoechoic, 0.3 cm, nonvascular nodule.  CONCLUSION:  Dominant hetergeneous hypervascular mass in the lower pole of the left lobe of the thyroid gland.  Smaller nonvascular hyoechoic nodules elsewhere in the left lobe and within the right lobe.

TSH results were normal.  Is this normal for the TSH levels to be normal and have a mass on the thyroid.  What questions should I ask my endocrinologist which I will be seeing in a few weeks?
Based upon the ultrasound results [large nodule] the biopsy for it can be suggested.
Due to the "complex" nature of the nodule MAKE sure that the biopsy will be ultrasound assisted, otherwise the sample will mostly contain the blood [from cystic degeneration--the intranodular bleeding].
Some intranodular flow is present among 50% of benign nodules;
The hypoechoic part of the nodule is the area where blood flows.