Adoption Community
how do i look for just a little info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

how do i look for just a little info?

hi. i was adopted by closed adoption through the catholic church in the 70's. the hospital no longer exists. i was adopted at less than one month old. my mom is no longer alive and my dad is too emotional to talk about it and there is no papers in the family safe. who has the records? i would just like to know my nationality and medical history. but i am afraid to find out that she is also dead or a drug addict or something. can you request just a little info? can you really control your curiosity when you start turning stones over so to speak???
Depending on the state you are in, the church should have the records.  I was adopted from a Catholic birth mother home in Texas in the 70's as well.  My hospital no longer exists either.  Texas now allows you to get your original birth certificate, yes you do have an original birth certificate.  If you are in Texas, your birth certificate number will match up with your original.  You need to contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics in your state's capitol and see where to go from here.  Good luck...curiosity got the best of me for sure.  It is your birth right to know where and who you come from.  Don't give up until you're ready to stop and don't apologize to anyone for your search.  Remember, not all reunions are happy ones... but I hope yours will be. Again, good luck to you.
wow similar stories. thanks for the advice. did you have any luck?
Yes, I am a VERY persistent person, so after 3 years and the home I was adopted from not being truthful about my search and taking quite a bit of my money, I went to adoption.com where a search angel contacted me after I put my information in.  I paid her $60 and within 45 minutes, she found my entire birth history and family.  My birthmother was not happy about the reunion and would not speak to me for 3 years.  I finally contacted her children and I received the medical information I very much needed.  I have since met her and she is very nice, but she certainly in not my mother.  God knows what he's doing.  I lost my mom to cancer in 2001 and my dad was supportive of me searching for my birthparents, but I would have never done it if my mom was still alive.  My birthfather did die at the age of 35 from diabetes which the home failed to pass that information on to my parents when I was adopted.  The home did know about his medical history. Good luck to you.  Going to adoption.com may be a good place for you to start.  Keep us posted.
Holy crap. My mom (adoptive) passed away in 1992 from cancer. I would not have done this while she was alive. But now I am having problems with miscarriages and have no support and no info. I am so glad you found me on here. XOXO.
I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Stay strong and don't give up.  I'll leave a message in your inbox with my email address.  Feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to help you.  I've been through it all and can at least offer support.