Adults with Special Needs Community
Chelstar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to basic needs, caregivers, day-to-day living, education and learning, family and friends, financial issues, insurance, hearing loss, medical Equipment and assistive technology, motor and movement, speech and communication, transportation, and vision.

Chelstar

Welcome aboard!! Tell us more about you and your brother. I'd love to hear what it took to get him into a residential placement. I like to compare how my state is compared to other states.

Penn
Hello, sorry I took so long to reply!  My twin brother fell out of a height chair at 11 months old, which resulted in frontal lobe damage.  Since then he has come a long long way.  He is very high functioning, and is an amazing piano/keyboard player!  He plays by ear. Hearing a song once and playing it later that day.  It wasn't hard at all to get him into the group home he lives in.  The company that runs the home also does home health care.  They had been helping take care of him for a few years.  When they said they were buying a new home, which just happened to be when he was 19 years old, they asked us if he wanted to live there.  I must say they are a wonderful group of people.  It is family run, actually the owner married one of the staff.  All the group homes and staff are like one big family!  I live in Minnesota, I think disabled adult programs are great, and some need improvement.  If there is anything else you'd like to know, I'd be happy to tell you!
That's great that he was able to get in so quickly!! Here in PA there are people on waiting lists - some for years. It's so sad when families need help and you can't help them. There are great services here too; that's why so many come here for service. Now we are strapped financially and have a hard time helping people.

Your brother sounds wonderful. I hope his home is close to yours. Is he a big brother or little brother to you?

Penn
He's my twin.  :)  
How cool! You must be very protective of him. I visited a family yesterday and was truly blown away by the teen-aged brother who was so genuinely and openly loving to his challenged slightly younger brother. Boys that age don't generally show affection to anyone when there are people around. It made my day

Penn