Adults with Special Needs Community
funding for services

This patient support community is for discussions relating to basic needs, caregivers, day-to-day living, education and learning, family and friends, financial issues, insurance, hearing loss, medical Equipment and assistive technology, motor and movement, speech and communication, transportation, and vision.

funding for services

So, I'm curious about the state of funding for services for adults w/ special needs in other states. Anyone have any thoughts about it? I am in PA. Although we're in a pinch right now, I am told we are among the widest in range of services. Wondering if it's true or PR.....

Penn
Not for profits often get their funding straight from Washington DC. I know SAMSA always offers grants for reoccurring disorders (substance abuse). But their are a ton of other ones that apply to self help and housing along with allot of tax relief packages like forms to purchase things duty free once you get the not for profit status.
I applied for a funding mini grant for entertainment for the depression and disabled people and started a band it also went well so I applied for another to start a recreation league.
Right now the budget is tight so they are looking to cut out allot of social programs but the funding is usually set up in block grants for special needs and community's.
fred
The not for profit agency I work for had a big meeting today of all employees - there are more than 400 of us, to tell us we will not be getting cost of living adjustments this year. It was not a surprize as our governor voted down a bill that would have given social services money for COLAs. Can't wait to vote him out!

It is really tough. Our funding comes from our county, who in turn gets theirs from the state, who in turn gets theirs from the fed. Seems though that some of these county, state level entities have WAY too many employees and could save money by downsizing. Instead they keep hiting. I only exclude the fed level because I have no direct exposure to them.

I applaud your efforts to try to find these grants. Many people just give up and wait for things to appear. Good for you, going after what's needed in your community!

Penn