Beauty & Cosmetics Community
My hair's stopped growing..?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

My hair's stopped growing..?

Basically ive noticed that my hair (which used to be healthy, smooth and quite long.) doesnt appear to be growing anymore, but is infact getting shorter. I noticed this by just looking in the mirror and noticing, it's not falling out in clumps or anything like that though.
I also looked at photos from last year, and since then i decided i wanted to grow my hair, but looking at photos from this year its much shorter! ive kept trims minimal wheneven ive had them, so i literally just have split ends cut off to help it grow. I tried conditioning it once a week with 10 minute hair care repair aswell.
Im worried that the reason it appears to have stopped growing might be because i straighten my hair everyday (even though i use lots of protecting syrum). This perhaps would answer why it doesnt look in as good condition as it used to, and why it wont grow perhaps? :\

Anyway, i dont know what to do about it, i cant see myself stopping straightening my hair as i have layers in my hair and it'll look awful if left natural. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions that may help my hair restore its healthy state and aid it to grow again? Im scared itll keep getting shorter until its up to my ears or something drastic! :(
I disagree that a haircut in layers looks bad with naturally curly hair.  I used to pay a fortune for permanents back in the day, and my haircut was layered.  That Greek-god-Apollo look was cute!

It's definitely possible that straightening your hair every day could be causing breakage, but whether that is enough to cause the hair to apparently gain no length at all is another question.  Do you have a good, top-professional hairdresser in your orbit that you could ask?  They see it all, and really ought to know the answer to whether the amount of straightening you are doing could cause this kind of damage.  

The Brazillian Blowout, though expensive, is supposedly a really great way to soften naturally curly hair into just body waves.  It needs to be renewed every three months, but the naturally curly gals can just wash and wear, then.

If you don't actually think it's the straightening, you could see your doctor and tell him you get the feeling your hair has just stopped growing.  He or she might be able to tell you if this suggests anything, or run some tests to check your endocrine levels or whatever.

Finally, I think if you do go to said top-notch hairdresser, you might also have a consult about cute, current cuts for curly hair (i.e., that don't look like the 1980s), that would allow your hair to come back to itself without all that effort on your part.  I saw a good cut recently online, an article written by a woman who had been fighting her curls for years, and she said she felt like a new woman.

Thank you for your comment :)

I dont have naturally curly hair, i have naturally straight hair, always have done. So when i wash my hair, once its dry the layers just flick out, well they dont even flick, they just stick out & make my hair seem un-shaped and well.. poofy for lack of a better word!

Straightening is the only thing i can think of that could make it like it is now, because my fringe grows, and is thick & healthy looking.. and i dont straighten my fringe as the layers lay nice naturally, but i do straighten the rest every day after i shower and blow dry. So it must be the straighteners breaking the ends off everytime. The amount of heat protection products i use doesnt seem to make any difference! And id ont seem to have any split ends.. which is strange as if it was the straighteners surely it would leave me with some split ends?

Im thinking i need to take out straightening my hair for a long time now. But i dont know how im going to manage styling my hair without straightening it. I could wear it up, but i think that looks awful, plus i enjoy wearing my hair down. Ive thought about putting curling wands (dont know if thats what theyre called) in my hair at nighttime to make my hair wavy, so i can then just take them out in the morning & have it styled like that, avoiding using any heat styling products. However i imagine this wont work very well as my hairs so thin now and short now. Ive tried curling it in the past and it just hasnt work due to the length of my hair.

My auntie is a hairdresser, and i think i will ask her if she can also recommend anything for me to do. She is the one who supplied me with professional hair care conditioner. So perhaps she can suggest a product to style my hair with over-night to avoid using any heat on my hair so i can re-store its healthy state again.

It's ever so worrying though, but i think i will have to cut out using heat because id rather be safe, than sorry as it's DEFINITLEY getting shorter. :(
Well I agree I think you should stop straightening you hair for awhile so it can catch up to itself. It's best if you use as little heat as possible. I know that's hard but you should do what AnnieBrooke said and get a good haircut suited for curly hair. That's the only way you'll get healthy hair.

You could try eating more balanced and taking supplements to help encourage the growth of your hair and nails. You'll need to be patient and you need to use it consistently for a period of time, not whenever you remember. You just have to be patient because but most hair on most people is genetically programmed to grow a maximum of 6 inches a year.  

Anyways, I hope this helped :D
There's got to be a cut that would work with your hair that would allow you to let it dry naturally without ironing it with heat.  Even just using a blow dryer and a really big round brush or a paddle brush might be more gentle on the hair than a flat iron.  A blow dryer set on "cool" would definitely be less damaging.

If you do go to rollers for the wavy look, I don't know if these are even available any more, but I'd try to find some soft ones made of sponge nylon (in my mom's day they were pink), in order to be able to sleep on them.  The other kinds (that don't use heat) are too uncomfortable for sleeping.  (There are also hot rollers that only take a few minutes, but that defeats the purpose of getting the heat out of your hair.)

Definitely talk to the hairdresser about what is going on with your hair, and consult about whether an adjustment in your haircut will make it possible to let your hair dry naturally or with only a small help from a cool blow dryer.  Also, if she says she doesn't think the problem was caused by heat on the hair, see your doc.

Good luck!
Oh my goodnessssss! 6 inches isnt very much atall is it!
Yeah i think ill have to wont i :( As soon as i sort out another way to style it without using heat, ill stick to it! I may go into town tomorrow and buy something to curl my hair with overnight :)

Yeah actually my mum did buy me some of those supplement tablets for hair & nails, but i forget to take them. Ill start taking those again! My nails are lovely and long, its just my hair.. haha. Worth a shot though!

Yeah, looks like its going to take a lot of patience :( in the meantime ill continue using the right shampoo and conditoner etc to suit damaged hair to try to restore some of the goodness back into my hair!

Yes it did, thank you for your comment tbabi20 :)
o.p. says her hair is straight, so my comments about curly hair are mistaken.  :)
Is the photo in the profile picture you?  If so, are you also lightening your hair?  It might be that the two things together (heat and bleaching agents) are causing the problem.  I'd see what you can do with the blow dryer set on "cool" and a paddle brush, if the photo in the picture is your favored style.
Your welcome.. I'm trying to grow my hair out too and I find it sooo unbearable waiting but that's life. I wish it grew faster...but I hope blow drying your hair straight works along with vitamins..

I actually got these cool rollers called Remington Beach Wave Rag Rollers and they aren't really hot but you leave them in for 15 minutes and your hair is all curly. I think they are also called Remington Hair Envy Rag Rollers. They're pretty neat for not using a lot of heat.

AnnieBrooke:  Ahaha I don't get why I just assumed that she had curly hair too lol. Just ignore what I said about the curly hair hehe.
AnnieBrooke: Thanks, yeah, thats me, &I dye it blonde,  but i dont go to extremes with it, but the 2 together really dont mix i guess. My auntie (the hairdresser) said it may be a good idea to dye it light brown just so it helps restore its health as blonde is bad for ur hair anyway. &I already use a paddle brush :)

Tbabi20: Thankyou again, haha, its okay, weird that you both thought i had curly hair! Haha. Yeah im gonna have to STICK to taking those vitamins. Blow drying helps, but then after washing its so soft that it just flicks and curls all the wrong ways, haha.
I used some superdrugs own brand bendy rollers, and i put them in and wore them in overnight to see what curls they gave, and it just gave me rubbish curls and it made my hair look REALLY short and poofy, i know curls drop.. but it looked awful.
But i actually looked on youtube at some tutorials, and some girls have left a really simple looking technique to get wavy/curly hair overnight which im gunna try soon! Its like like.. damping it, and tieing it up in a weird way.. doubt itll work. nothing ever does when it comes to my hair! haha.
I know what you mean rollers don't work in my hair either. But I thought I'd try the Remington Beach Wave Rag Rollers I saw on Youtube and they work great. But ya I understand what you mean completely, a blow dryer doesnt' work for me but I got one that kinda looks like a comb with attachable combs at the end to straighten your hair and it kinda works. The damping your hair works but I have curly hair so it pretty much is frizzy waves lol. But your hair texture is different to mine so it should work.

Goodluck though...
I want to thank you both for your advice, my hairs lovely long and healthy now. I stopped using straighteners all together and went for a wavy natural look instead, it worked perfectly!

Thanks again
Liquid collagen