Beauty & Cosmetics Community
laser hair removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

laser hair removal

OK so I am having this problem with facial hair. If I didn't shave it I would have a full man beard. So I shave it everyday and try to hide the skin bumps ( from shaving) with makeup concealer. I am to the point where I know other people can tell.. even my hubbie, he has never said anything to me about it but when we are getting it on I have to be very carfeul not to let him touch my face.. So enough is enough I am ready for laser hair removal. Does anyone know how much it might cost to have this done and how often do you have to go in for the "treatment"?
Tags: redness
I have no idea. You should be able to search and find an office in your area and call. I have dark upper lip hair nad it never bothered me until my brother mentioned it. I bought some nair for the upper lip. It stays on for five minutes and wipe it off and the hair is gone. I usually only have to go about 3 weeks in between uses. It is much cheaper, simpler and less painful than when I used to get my lip waxed. Have you tried a depilatory? Sorry about the spelling.... I have no idea if that is the correct spelling or not. Maybe you could try that route first. I had a friend who has dark facial hair all over her face and the depilatory works great for her. Hope you find a solution. Best wishes.
from what i know it really depends on the hair texture and some are better candidates than others. it will take several (im guessing from what i have heard 3-5) treatments. it is said to only remove 70-80% of the hair, which in this case im sure is quite the improvement. it is costly but facial hair is worth removing. i also heard that you cant wax or pluck after for it can stimulate new growth. have you tried waxing? after time it does slow the growth <in most cases> and cause the hair to grow in finer. i asked about hair removal on the cosmetic forum and found a great answer look over there. the gals i know that have had it done it helped, but never stopped all growth.
the only problem with nair and such (maybe you have had better results than most) is it "disolves" the hair. it doesnt cause the hair to slow its growth or become finer like waxing will. if you should go with laser find a reputable place even if more expensive. not all lasers are the same and you do get what you pay for.
laser is pricey but some places will guarantee it.  Here's the thing w/ laser...you have to let your hair grow and it is best if it is dark.  You have to have a few sessions and you MUST let the hair grow in between sessions.  Each place charges differently and you might be able to get one fee for all sessions combined.  I don't suggest waxing, it causes ingrowns and can actually stimulate hair growth.  Depilatory creams are ok, I use them for my mustache and chin area.  they are the least expensive.  There is also electrolysis.  I have done this and it does help but can be painful and you must go every week.  I was paying 35 bucks a week for a year until I got pregnant.  I never went back because it isnt in my budget now but it did improve the amount of hair on my upper lip and chin.  You really should not shave your face.  If you have excessive hair growth, see your dr. It may be hormone related.  For the bumps on your face you may want to use a product called Tendskin.  Its about 20 bucks a bottle and will help w/ ingrowns and bumps.  It has a very drying effect due to ingredients so dont over do it and use a moisturizer.  good luck.
nobody can guarantee laser results. i talked with a place and they said it will NEVER get rid of all hair. funny i used to use the cream remover and it grew back darker, faster and courser. my waxing i have done for many years. there is maybe half or less hair than it used to be, and finer and lighter so it does not stimulate growth. this could turn into a tug of war. its about preference, but the facts are the facts. i agree that there could be a hormone or health issue. id see a dr.
Thanks everyone. Yes it is a hormonal issue. I am on meds that are making it worse but I am taking them for TTC.
Siren- do you actually have a wax machine at home and you do it yourself?

Venus- What is depilatory?
Waxing is great, if you can stand the pain. And even going to a spa/salon, where they wax everything known to man, I was still too embarrassed to ask to get my lip waxed. I only did the waxing the first few times because a friend persueded me. The depilatory is the cream, Nair or any other brand (I'm sure there are better brands for all-over hair) that like Sirens said, dissolves the hair. I don't know about the waxing causing the hair to grow in lighter and less coarse; I never stuck with it long enough. There are waxing kits you can buy at any beauty supply store and I even think I've seen some sold at drug stores. With the creams, make sure you use them the night before and moisturize afterwards, as there will be a bit of redness and irritation. In the morning though, I am fine. But they should sell all the products you want at a beauty-supply store. There is a chain called Sally's, and any time I've been in there the women have been extremely helpful and somewhat knowledgable(sp).
if you are ttc you should really talk to your dr before starting anything new.  best of wishes.
well i dont know where you are located but to a place i went here in philadelphia guarantees no "extreme" hair regrowth for 2yrs and they don't allow you to even shave between sessions.  I guess its all in where you go but I do agree that laser is a great option...except the place where i went didnt do individual areas.  you might have to shop around i guess.
I'VE HAD LASER HAIR REMOVAL!!!!!!  I haven't started it on my face, because it's not as bad, but I had it on my areolas (sp?) and it is GREAT. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's not THAT expensive either. Most places can charge per body part. For instance, if you ONLY want your chin done, the place I go to charges only $19 a session. And you usually go every 4 weeks for the first few sessions, and then like every 2 months, and then the slower it comes in the less you go until you're satisfied, and then you can go like once a year for touch-ups, or never if you're happy. Same thing if you only want your cheeks done. You can get your full face done, which usually includes forhead and in between your eyebrows for a lot more money, but if you break it down it's pretty affordable depending where you go.

And contrary to what one poster said, you DON'T have to let it grow. You can shave - but ONLY shave. You can't use waxes or Nair or pluck, but you CAN shave. And the other posters are right, it will NEVER get rid of ALL the hair, but it definitely makes a HUGE difference because it comes in MUCH slower, MUCH finer, and you'll notice a difference right away. Especially if your hair is as thick as you make it sound. And the darker the hair, the better response to treatment you'll have.

This might sound silly, but it's really made a difference in my life. I'm a hairy monkey, and although my husband's never said anything either, I always feel really self concious. But now I don't. And i had scarring from ingrown hairs, and that's fading as well. I now have pretty boobies again! hahaha!

Anyways, Good luck. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend laser hair removal!!!!
oh goodness no i dont do it myself. its hard to inflict pain on yourself haha,. i have tried it but it was too hard to do. body hair sucks. we are to be smooth and hairfree being women. and some are, but most of us have hair we want to remove. im finding since i turned 35 i have a few on my chin!! oh how i love that! my esthitician (sp) told me to leave them be unless they start to get noticable. ya easy for her to say!! oh! i have a friend that removes hair by threading. its a big thing in hollywood. they use a thread they get around each hair and it pulls it out, one by one. ive heard its less painfull and less expensive then waxing. waxing is costly. i tell you no matter how much you wax, it hurts every time!! hurts more depending on your cycle too.
hi everyone, Facial hair removal its great I did it and I love it, once I started I noticed the difference but it will take time I started 3 years ago and the growth of the hair was every 40 days after 6 month it became longer like evey 2 months now I do it just twice a year and the hair became very light in colour. I heared that waxing causes wrinkles to the face by the time.
I bet it depends on the laser. I know there are a TON of different types of lasers out there. I'm in AZ, and I'm not sure which laser they use at the place I go. As for prices here, for some reason there seems to be a lot of competition in the hair removal business...I guess there are a lot of hairy people walking around in AZ - ha ha!
My friend here at work had laser done on her face.  she too shaved.  she was required to let it grow before they would do it.  she had about 4 treatments, one every 6 weeks or so and it cost $150 a treatment.  that was a little over a year ago (her last treatment) and she is about to go back because the hair is growing back.  it is much finer now, but it is growing back.
Why go thru all that?? Just use nair. I use it and put vasoline on afterward. It keeps it from causing bumps. I have dark hair, so I get the unibrow and a hair abover my lip. No way I'd let them take a laser to my face.
hey i was just surfing the net i just wanted to ask the person who actually started the thread dat wat did she do abt it?
cuz i have a lil cuzin who is like 15 and she has the exact same problem.
And shez always upset nd dat abt it so i would really appreciate it if you could tel me anything u think i cud tel her that wud help.

thank you!
i hope to hear from you soon!