Brain Health Community
How much exercise is enough

This community is a place where members can find information and support pertaining to injury, memory, problem solving, language skills, brain games, nutrition supplements and fitness as they relate to brain health. Discussions are limited to brain health only. Bipolar, Depression, and Schizophrenia topics are best suited for discussion on those communities

How much exercise is enough

Hi.

I have been recommended by my doctor to exercise and eat healthy food in order to maintain my brain health now as I am getting older. I am not much of an exerciser, but I walk my dog ever day so I do get some regular activity throughout the week. I am clueless of where to start and what kind of exercises I need to do. Are there any specific kind of activities and exercise for brain health?
I agree that brain exercise is good, but I also believe in Vitamins and supplements.
1) It has been proven according to recent studies  that Vit B complex of same mg per Vit. ( I Take B complex 100 mg ) will protect from Alzheimer's
2) Magnesium L Threonate was discovered by MIT to be the only Mg that will cross the blood brain barrier- it helps for long term memory
3) Huperzine - Helps in short term memory and faster recall.
These combo of supplements finally helped me get my memory back. I feel so blessed.
For brain exercise, I think reading and remembering, puzzles, games, challenge yourself with new things, talk to people, it challenges your memory when telling stories,
I like playing Sudoku, there are also plenty of on line games  to exercise your brain. .. walking is a good exercise not just for the body but also for the brain.
Take care.

Hi toourlady89 and alison315.

I am still a huge supporter of Transdermal magnesium chloride also known as magnesium oil, as it has one of the  most efficient absorption rates.
The issue with oral magnesium is very poor absorption rates, mainly because it has to go through our digestive system.
I consider 3-4% very inefficient!
There are 2  (rat) studies on MLT  that make it very promising, specially when it shows it can penetrate cellular membrane and also cross the BBB, however I would like to see the results of the human study that started last year, before I cast my vote. If anyone has any info on this i would appreciate if you could give me the link.

Optimum thyroid function is a very overlooked factor in general health and in
brain health. Poor thyroid function is linked to cognitive decline.
And don't rely on blood tests alone, as they won't reveal thyroid dysfunction at the cellular level, which is the most important.

Learning new things like ballroom dancing,foreign languages, tai chi, bridge,
Reiki, chess, etc. would give a big boost to anyone's brain health at any age!
And don't forget your coconut oil, the number one "functional" food and the highest rated single food item to prevent Alzheimer's Disease, to my opinion.

Love & Light
Niko
I do believe in Transdermal Mg as well,  mostly to jumpstart the build up of Mg in the system. I used it very often at the start, but I have slowed down.
I have the spray all over my house for use wheneveer I need it- upstairs, downstairs. It works instantly for body aches and pains and leg  and feet cramps. I think the oral Mg is not enough to stop cramps.
You mean you still use it every single day ?

I like Mg L Threonate for the brain, it restored my long term memory..
And then Huperzine A, as we have talked about, I told you I was gonna try. I am very happy to say, its working !!  My short term memory is all back and it only took a few days..

I use VCO for cooking. I like the non flavored kind though I love coconut smell, I don't necessarily want all my food to be coconut flavored. :)

Alzheimer's, go away .. !
Your original question was about physical exercise.  The best exercises for brain health are those that are social, that are pleasurable to you personally, and that engage your mind as well as your body.  If you enjoy dance, that is great exercise for health and longevity, because it is social, and also because you have to think when you are learning the steps.  Walking your dog is social, because you have a relationship with your dog.  Taking any kind of exercise class would be good, because it gets you out with people, and you will be learning something new.  Gardening is a hobby that many people enjoy, and it does involve a certain amount of physical exercise.  With your doctor's approval, it is good to choose at least some activities that gradually increase your stamina, because getting your heart rate up a bit will improve the circulation to your brain as well as to other parts of your body.  Walking briskly (as opposed to strolling) qualifies as a type of exercise that will improve stamina.  It's not at all necessary to strain yourself physically -- in fact, please don't.  Just try some activities that you think you will enjoy that involve physical activity.  You don't have to do calisthenics, weight-lifting, or any of the types of things that we typically think of as "exercise."   Just move, rather than sitting still all day in front of the TV or computer.  Walking your dog is a great start.  The most important thing, in my opinion, is to enjoy yourself -- because what's it all for, if you don't have that?  Try some new things, and keep the ones you like.  Good luck.