Cancer in Pets Community
Cat with Lymphoma

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Cat with Lymphoma

I have read that Lymphoma in cats is usually associates with Feline Leukemia.  My cat, Daisy, has Lymphoma (based on bloodwork, a biopsy and x-ray), and we have 4 others cats.  Daisy has had all her shots every year as well as the other cats.  Is this something I need to worry about with the other cats now?  

Also, Daisy was given a prednisone injection two weeks ago and the vet thought she had at the most 2 months left.  He had taken an x-ray and he could see tumors in her chest cavity.  The main tumor we noticed was on her neck and it grew rapidly.  The vet is sure it's an aggressvie form of cancer.  Anyway, she is also on Metacam (given 3 drops every 3 days) to help ease any pain and once she went on that she has done remarkable!  She is no longer sitting in the corner, she's walking and jumping on furniture and sleeping with me again and doing great.  I had heard it was damaging to their livers, but since she's terminal anyway we were willing to try something to give her comfort.  She also gets Pro Gut every day to help settle her tummy and she appears happy again.  

I guess my question is how do I know when it's time?  I do not feel it's time yet and don't want to end her life too soon, but don't want to wait too late either as I don't want her to suffer.  I do have a vet who is willing to be called at any time day or night to help us when it's her time.  

Thanks for any information you can give me.  (My vet is great, but I just wanted to get another opinion.)

~~Janet
I can empathize with you.  We made a hard decision with our cat a few weeks ago.  We knew she would never get better and when she stopped eating it was time.  As far as we know she didn't eat much starting on a Tuesday, ate treats only until Friday morning and then stopped eating them too.  She was uncomfortable and was probably bleeding inside.  The attack wasn't like the attacks on the spleen.  It was a bad weekend (we live in a tourist trap and it was crowded) and so we called the vet on Monday morning and took her in to end it then.  

We had some metacam also from her surgery and had given her one dose on Sunday.  After giving it to her, she perked up, followed me to the bathroom and jumped up on the counter from the toilet like in the old days, but the relief didn't last but 2 hours and she didn't eat during that time either.

We let her die with as much dignity that was left and didn't prolong her pain.  Instead we were left with the pain to deal with on the loss in our lives.  The other cat took it very hard and few days later we came home with another cat to try to replace the void in our lives.  It was a young small shelter rescue which had been in the shelter for over 6 months and she is finally coming around and being social but she is still scared of the world.