Cancer in Pets Community
How long do I have?

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

How long do I have?

Today, I found out my 10 year old golden retriever Bear has a mast cell tumor. The vet discussed options such as surgery and chemo.  I just had a tumor removed in May and a new one has appeared near the incision. Do you know what the survival rate is without treatment? What will happen to him?

Thanks for your thoughts.
-whitney
Bad news I'm afraid, if you decide not to treat then be ready for the loss of your beloved pet. I have had, over the years had to make this decision and I have not regreted it. One dog, postate cancer, one dog, kidney failure, one horse twisted gut. Sometimes the treatment is so agressive that the animal suffers. Enjoy the moments that you have left and treasure them forever. I'm so sorry but letting go is sometimes the only option. I have had all my pets cermated and they live on in my heart. it hurts but do what is best for Bear, not just yourself.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Mast Cell Tumors if they recur it is generally at the same or similar local site-they do NOT invade the body. Complete surgical removal usually works best and I do NOT recommend chemotherapy or radiation for these. If the tumor recurred a couple months after being removed it is possible it was not removed with wide enough margins-so a few mast cells were still there and they regrew. A biopsy report would reveal this information.
I do recommend an anti-cancer diet and the Paaws Vitamins, available at www.drcarol.com. They work together very well and have helped many dogs in our practice to enjoy long quality lives after being affected with Mast Cell Tumors.
Feel free to contact our office if I can help further.
Thank you
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM