Caregivers Community
Physical Therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

Physical Therapy

Both Medicaid and Medicare  patients are entitled to physical therapy. Medicaid limits this to 25 visits per year. Medicare has a $155 deductable and then pays 80% to a cap of $1860. I just got through visiting an 86 year old friend in a nursing home who has not been getting this therapy and who would benefit greatly. My point in this post is to make sure the nursing home in which your loved one is staying "gets off the dime" in this respect. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. These sessions which consist of varied exercises, assisted walking and range-of-motion invariably result in significant improvement in "quality of life". If you arrange to have this done at home keep track of the time the therapist arrives and leaves. My experience is that otherwise they tend to "short" the time.  It helps to observe them so you can learn the drills to use when they are not there.