Loss of Gag Reflex
I have recently been informed by my doctor that my gag reflex is gone. I had a craniotomy performed 3/20/12 and recovered very well from it. I am scheduled to get cochlear implants in September but my doctor now informs me he will not be able to do the implant surgery if the gag reflex does not return. I have had a barium swallow study, MRI to rule out stroke and I still don't have any answers. Can anyone offer any input on this? Will the gag reflex come back and if so, how long would it take to come back? What could have caused me to lose  my gag reflex?

Hi, I also had brain surgery and many that I know that had the posterior fossa decompression also called a craniotomy bcuz the skull is opened as well as the dura,

And I know many of us have had a loss of gag reflex too, mine was gone and is now back....my NS told me it can take up  to 2 yrs for the nerves to heal completely after a surgery like that, and could be the reason for ur issue.

U just may need some time for the healing process to see if it is going to return.

Good luck.