Exotic Pets Community
Brazilian Rainbow Boa - moisture box.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

Brazilian Rainbow Boa - moisture box.

Hi all. I'm currently caring for a young Rainbow Boa and after much research I have decided to make her a moist hide/moisture box seeing as they have very particular humidity requirements.

I have everything I need and will put it in today. There is only one piece of information I couldn't find. My Boa has a warm and cold side of its vivarium, in case she needs to cool down. Which side should I keep the moisture box in?
Cold or warm?
Any other advice is welcome, thanks!
Good question. If you keep it on the warm side, it will increase humidity perhaps beyond what is required. If you keep it on the cool side, I wonder if it would lead to hypothermia. Like the difference between being out in the cold vs. being in cold water, it seems like it would cool down the body quicker if the area was moist. Not sure if this works with herptiles.

Do you have a university nearby that has a biology department? Or perhaps a Fish and Wildlife office nearby where one of the field biologists could answer your question?