Exotic Pets Community
Chinchilla

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

Chinchilla

I have some questions. We have 3 chinchilla 2 male and 1 female.. when we got the 2 males the littler one had holes and bites i believe on his ears. well we let the chinchillas get to know each other when we went and got the female and finally put them in the same cage together. well yesterday night the wheel was messed up and the littest one has another cut or something on his nose all you can see is dried up blood. How do you treat that? The male thats a little bigger has some hair missing from the tip of his nose and now you can see skin is that unusual? One last thing our female has something wrong. On her lower back her hair is shorter not missing but not the same length as the rest..
I used to breed chinchillas many years ago for the pet industry.  I see that your numbers of females to males are off and lopsided.  One male can coexist with multiple females (as long as the females are separated) but two males living with only one female will usually lead to trouble.

Especially if they are already showing signs of fighting between them.  You see, the males are both vying for the attention of the female and don’t like to share.  The cage setup I had was the kind you see at many breeding facilities.  The females cannot leave their own cage but the males are free to wander between the many females.  I have not seen it work well if the numbers are reversed.  Meaning more males to only one female.  

This is similar to having two male guppies and one female guppy.  The numbers are off and lopsided. You need more female guppies for every male guppy.  Or else there will be fighting among the men, and the female will be exhausted from trying to constantly run away from the males that are chasing her.

Or to take it even further and looking at this as a reverse anthropomorphism, even with humans there will be fighting among the men if there are more males than females.  You see it all the time at social gatherings where two or more men are all trying to win the affection or attention of one female.

As far as the different length of hair, are you quite sure it isn’t new hair growth?  Chinchillas shed clumps of their hair when stressed.  In fact, if you tried to pick up or pet her while she was frightened, she will lose that part of fur.  It’s an escape mechanism bred into them.  Or could she have chewed it off either due to stress or parasites? A good bath in her lava chinchilla dust will usually help to get rid of parasites but if she is chewing her hair off because of stress, we need to find the cause of the stress.

Healthy chinchillas living happily with no stress will have a beautifully even coat.  Please inquire with a local breeder for the proper cage set up so that your chinchillas can live in a stress free environment.  

If your chinchillas need medical attention for their cuts, please bring them to your vet.  They can give them a through examination as well as medication to treat the wounds.

Good luck!
Dr. Youkey