General Surgery Community
Knee Pain 6 Months After OATS?

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Knee Pain 6 Months After OATS?

3 years ago I had Microfracture done on the my left knee.  In May of this year I had OATS done on the same knee.  What was found was a full-thickness (bone on bone) tear in my medial femoral condyle about the size of a dime I believe or some where around there.  I'm on 37 so any thoughts of knee replacement were immediately rejected.  I went through 8 weeks of non-weight bearing and physical therapy and now doing everything on my own.  During all this time I've had pain in the harvest site and instability.  I was told if it continued through November to give him a call back so obviously I'm going to.  However, in the last month it seems to be getting a lot worse.  Along with the pain already mentioned, I've had some giving way, going up stairs is rough and coming down them are a nightmare, I now have more general pain all throughout my knee (some even on the outside now) at about a 6 on a scale of 1-10, just walking is a chore and I definitely cannot even think about running or walking fast for that matter, I can't put too much weight on it while at the gym - squats hurt - even 10lb leg presses on the knee hurts, and I have never fully regained a 'locked out' position in the knee like I do my right one.  

How normal is all of this?
Should I be really concerned with the regression?
Is this a sign of failure?
What could be the next step if it is a failure?

I'm going to be calling my Ortho this upcoming week but would like some thoughts from others besides him.

Thank you for any input on this matter
Tags: OATS, mosaicplasty, pain inside knee, knee pain, medial femoral condyle, knee harvest site pain, unable to bear weight, Knee microfracture surgery, orthopedic surgery
To me this sounds like a failed OATS. There are other options before a full knee replacement. Like a titanium plate insertion for example.
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm active duty Air Force so I'm not too worried about surgeries and such but more about my 8 years I have left to retirement.  I'm sure my Ortho will tell me it's not failed since the last x-rays done he said everything looked great.  He said he could barely see the harvest site and the implants looked great.  However, of course I've been more active since those x-rays were done.  Maybe too active...?  Other than getting more x-rays and scopes, are there other signs of it being a failure?  Also, how invasive is putting in something like a plate and how long does that typically last?
I'd like for you try our AminoActiv capsules and topical cream, which are true anti-inflammatory pain relievers, no side effects, and work together. Good reports from users with knee pain. Go to the AA website and contact us for some free samples. We make this product and other health related products.