Health Care Reform Community
Medical Schools

WELCOME TO THE HEALTH CARE REFORM COMMUNITY: This Community is a place to share ideas, success stories and constructive, respectful discussions about how to improve the delivery of quality health care to all patients in need.

Medical Schools

In order for a patient to receive good health care, I believe the Medical Schools need to change or add to what is being taught. Western Medicine needs to incorporate some of the Eastern - and this would need to be taught at the Med Schools.  Conventional doctors diagnose a disease and or symptoms and ask "what" am I going to give to help with these symptoms. Eastern medicine looks more at the "Why" is the body having this problem. If both Eastern and Western would be combined more I believe we would see better outcomes with peoples illnesses.

And also I do believe some diseases have the wrong type of Specialists as head of the "team''- IF you have a team. Example, HCV IMO should have an Immunologist as head of the team. Hep doctors seem to know very little about the Immune system, hormones etc. They treat people and if they SVR, they send them on their way only to come back to do their yearly pcr, but meantime many times these folks are left with imbalances in areas of their bodies - low hormones sometimes etc.  Hep docs don't check these things because they feel no need to because its not their field, their concern is "svr only" - that is the only answer I can see. Patients are left on their own to discover they have things such as low testosterone etc.

Something is terribly wrong with that. If the doctor knows he doesn't know, or its not his field, he should lead his patient to other doctors to be examined as to how chemo may have affected other systems in his body, but for some odd reason this does not happen.

We all have to be our own Advocate and it shouldn't be because some people just are not able to, such as the elderly.
  Yes I would agree. Some aspects of eastern medicine have been incorporated into standard treatment, accupunture being one obvious example. As well some natural remedies are being clinically understood. All of the natural remedies I take are in standard clinical study. What they tend to do from there is develop standard medications that work on the same receptors as the natural remedies, such as Rozerem a sleep aide that works in the same manner as melatonin and Lovaza an anti-cholesterol medication that is clinical study as a mood stabilizer. which was developed from fish oil which can be used as an adjunct mood stabilizer under a doctor's supervision.
  As for the other point you make treatment teams are essential because if a person sees a variety of doctors they might not all be aware of each other and the different medications a person takes if they are in different clinics. All of my doctors are in touch with each other for that very reason. For example my psychiatrist has stated some medications my neurologist has reccomended for me could not be taken because they might cause psychosis. However that is not always the case for other people and there can be dangerous interactions when some medications are given together. What I do is obtain a signed letter from my psychiatrist and neurologist about all the medications I take and present it to any doctor I go to. I also carry an i.d. tag that says "tardive dyskinesia" and information in my wallet so they know what medications not to give me. Its helpful for people with severe disabilities to do this and to do so for elderly family members especially if they have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia. Life Alert buttons can make a crucial difference as well and certainly for anyone who is able to living in the community with a home attendant or home health aide who will assist them and coordinate their treatment as well can be essential.
I think that is great that your doctors all work together. That is the way it should be.
I must tell this,,,, though you say that you are dealing with mental health or the treatment of maybe I should say,I think you are probably one of the most, if not "Theeee" most mentally stable person who posts on MH.
Half of us that claim we don't go to Psychiatrists probably need one more than those that go. And you have been around here long enough reading all the posts and probably would agree with my statement, especially in seeing the anger issues on the Current Events Forum. lol

Take care, :)
MO
There are different types of doctors.. MDs and DOs. (medical doctor and doctor of osteopathic medicine) DOs do a lot more of a holistic approach to treating a patient. It all depends on what doctor you choose to see. I've gone to both and trust both, though at times really appreciate seeing a DO. They can do OMM, osteopathic manipulative medicine, which is kind of similar to what a chiropractor can do.
     In present era there are lot of diseases and for every disease there is different type of special doctors.
there are many types of doctors in different fields of surgery's and diseases...
The set of advise published in this post made this worth to read and share