Health Care Reform Community
Specific Amount of Time A Patient Sees a Doctor And/or is Examined by a...

WELCOME TO THE HEALTH CARE REFORM COMMUNITY: This Community is a place to share ideas, success stories and constructive, respectful discussions about how to improve the delivery of quality health care to all patients in need.

Specific Amount of Time A Patient Sees a Doctor And/or is Examined by an Assistant Physician?

My specific concern is that when I've seen some physicians who are specialists with advanced knowledge although the consult was for their specific advanced knowledge in the field, most of the time I was examined by an assistant physician who was just starting in the field. Then they discussed my case with the specialist and then saw me for a brief amount of time. I have noticed that this has increased over time. I believe that when it is a standard visit for a check up this might make sense but when one has a rare or hard to treat disability or condition that the physician who you arranged the consult with would preferably the one to examine you for the entire length of the visit. Would people agree? What might be some causes of this? What might be some reasonable limitations on this and what might they be?
Physician Assistants go through medical school as well, and I trust them with their knowledge. Many specialists are in very high demand, and there aren't enough specialists for the need of patients. Which I think will only get worse now with the new health care bill that has been passed, yipee!(*sarcasm*) I'd say that if you're not happy with the specialist and how you're being treated now, please go to another specialist. I've seen over a dozen specialist, before I found one that I love and now go to for treatment. I also have a very rare condition, so I need my specialist. There are great specialists out there, who will spend the time, but it's up to you to be your own advocate and get that treatment.