Horses & Large Animals Community
dry tear ducts in horses

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

dry tear ducts in horses

I have a 17 year old Quarter Horse mare who has a cloudy, dry eye.  It doesn't leak much but will be slightly crusty when I take her fly mask off.  She is always trying to close it or will have it barely open at all times.  I know I may not be able to restore the sight in her eye but I would like to make her more comfortable.  Any suggestions for a treatment?
have you had a Vet look at it/them?  That would be the best place to start. Is she already blind in that eye?  You mentioned about restoring sight. If that is the case, she could have a problem with tear production, or it could be something else. Blindness or eye problems such as Moonblindness can create dryness and sensitivity. It is something the vet should be consulted on. Please update with more information when you have it.