Huntington's Disease Community
Neurologist needed?

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Neurologist needed?

My husband went to neuro  was tested then referred back to family dr. Does he need to stay under care of neuro or does fam. dr usually take primary care?
To get a better picture was he tested for the Huntington Gene? Was he referred back to the family doctor for treatment of HD? In most cases, people how have HD will meet with their neurologist and/or a neurologist who is very well acquainted with HD. These visits will take place as frequent as the patient needs to be seen. It's important for the patient to see a neurologist to measure the progression of the disease and to monitor how they are doing. Another great reason why the patient should keep in touch with their neurologists is because there may be drug trials available that the patient may want to participate in. HD has many stages, and its best to seek medical treatment that is aware of HD and how it affects a person. Your husband may feel more comfortable seeing the neurologist every 3-6 months because they will pick up any changes a lot quicker and more efficiently than a general practitioner. I hope this helps and answers some questions. Feel free to email me or ask more questions. Good luck!