Medical Ethics Community
The system
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE MEDICAL ETHICS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Medical Ethics issues such as Abortion; Genetic Engineering; End of Life Issues; Off-Label Prescribing;

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

The system

I am a seasoned paramedic of 12 years.  I have a different philosophy about medicine than many of our practicing physicians.  Though I am not an MD I have worked with many. I trust maybe 20% with my kids.  I would not send my dog in the local ambulance that responds to my home.  I have seen some really good doctors and medics and I have seen the worst.  There are many more bad ones than good ones.  I watched one doctor work an entire cardiac arrest and I did everything short of pushing him out of the way to defibrillate the patient.  I had paddles charges and told him to move..and he would not let go of the patient.  After the guy was pronounced dead, I asked Why did you not let me shock him...he replied, I forgot.  I screamed it and he would not listen.   I found myself as a medic basing my decision on the  facility to transport a given patient to on who was working that day.  I struggled to deliver the sickest patients to the best doctors.  Now, I am not working any more, and have children in need of a pediatrician.  I cannot find a pediatrician who offers the aggressive, assertive care I always offered my patients.  They all seem to be following a system.  There is nothing different from one office to another.  I know that every time my child is ill it is not an emergency, but I also know that there are only a few ways to determine that.  I am not seeing the typical medical doctor provide the care or orders needed to rule out the worst case scenario immediately.  If John Doe calls 911, and I respond... I will cover the most immediate base first depending on the complaint and provide the most correct treatment right then and right there.  If he has been vomiting and has not passed urine in 24 hours...and is still in a state of purging...I will immediately start a line, bolus fluid, and transport to rule out dehydration, while collecting all data needed to rule out the reason he is sick.  If I leave him at home and tell him to drink every 5 minutes, I am putting his life in his very own hands and trusting that he will remain capable of following the order.  I recently took my 20 month old to a doctor's office.  He had not passed urine in 40 hours by the 3rd visit.  He had a severe viral illness.  I had called 2 days earlier and told the MD that he was vomiting and had diarrhea.  I reported every 12 hours that he had no urine output.  I was asked, "does he still have a wet mouth and is he producing tears?"  I polled 5 pediatricians in the area and all of them would have responded the same.  Please somebody tell me why we would consider waiting until there is no spit and no tears when the patient is clearly not producing urine, is still having severe diarrhea and refusing fluids without being forced?   Why not maintain the spit and not allow the child to die before being invasive?   I told the doctor that it was wrong to not start an IV and give a fluid bolus and then treat the diarrhea with lomotil.   It had been a total of 4 days and was not getting any thicker.   I was told then...go to the ER.  Well duuuuhhh.  We can always go to the ER... that much is given.  But why is a pediatrician so afraid to offer the most basic treatment possible ...a 20/kg bolus?  Let's say there is a weird law that prevents the doctor from ordering this basic treatment... why must my child sit in a lobby 4 days after the first visit to the MD and wait for a brand new assessment?  Why not do a direct admit for 23 hours...give a bag of fluid, get the diarrhea under control and go home?  The doctor said, 'I can't start an IV in my office and we don't do direct admits."  Well, ...I as a paramedic can start an IV in your living room and do a direct bed assignment from the street...what gives!?   I don't make it a habit of telling the doctor how to do there job...I just expect that they will at least do something.  We need doctors that will treat the first time and not wait patiently for out conditions to worsen to a point that we may not make it.  We need doctors that will react like every person is an emergency until they see reason to slow down...not react like everyone will be fine and wait for them to reach a point of no return.