Military Health Issues Community
Can I inlist with Fibromyalgia?

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Can I inlist with Fibromyalgia?

I am 23 and have always wanted to join the military but when I was 18 I started having pain and later found out that it was Fibromyalgia. I always assumed I could not join, but I still wish I could. And if I can what branches? Thank you for your time and God bless
see if you can contact a military recruiter they are in the phone books under government listings ok
I think if you don't make it an issue, neither will the military. If you can withstand the physical training and are already an athlete, you can cope with this condition and do your job. I have debilitating pain and am disabled, but not just because of Fibromyalgia...I was in a lot of accidents, including a motorcycle accident. But at one time, I was swimming and haour and ahalf a day and biking everywhere. So it depends on your health in general. If you cna do the job, then do the job. Don't ask them, ask yourself.
If you don't make it an issue, meaning don't say a thing about it!  Chances are very slim that it would be caught in the physical you're given.
I think exercise and activity help Fibro a lot, and if you can become physically fit before enlisting, your pain should be manageable with NSAIDS and Tylenol. I did for many years. You also must make sure you get good sleep, which is what causes a lot od Fibro pain. So, if you do physcial conditioning every day, so that you  aare so tired you sleep like a rock, then you cna do it. YOu can also use supplements such as valerian root and melatonin. Just tell the Dr.s you have trouble sleeping sometimes if they make an issue of it.
Your patriotism and desire to serve are commendable, however The answer is no, unless you recieved a medical waiver.  "Don't say a word about it" is bad advice. You could lie and not mention the diagnosis, but it would eventually come out and result in a dishonorable discharge (which might come after years of service) as well as charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.