Nutrition Management for Pets Community
what to feed?

This community is for questions and support regarding Nutrition for your pets.

what to feed?

When we brought home Penny, our dane puppy (now 4 months), our breeder had given us a comprehensive feeding program for her which consists of:

1) Iams large breed puppy until 4 months (with acute care powder)
2) medi-cal adolescent from 4 months to 1 year
3) Iams large breed adult from 1 year onward

When we talked to our vet about them ordering the medi-cal (they don't have the adolescent formula in their office) he basically chewed us out and made us feel like terrible people for even CONSIDERING feeding her that.  He said that taking her off of a puppy food before 1 year would be very bad because the adolescent food has too many calories and too much calcium, causing rapid growth and poor bone formation (apparently the calcium can cause the bone plates to close too quickly which can result in things like HOD or OCD).
I am very hesitant to go against my breeder's feeding plan though, as she was very adamant about following it to the letter.  Also, I've seen her own dogs many times and they are all very good looking; good size, good coats, good joints, etc.  At this point I'm just wondering if there really is a problem with this plan, or if it really just comes down to matter of preference?
I'm surprised your vet said that .... the medi-cal adolescent is suppose to STOP the poor growth formulation for those large breeds.  Large breed dogs tend to need the higher calories because they are so active, by feeding a higher caloric food you need to feed less of it for each individual dog which saves money and clean up time.  

Try talking to other Dane breeders and vets and gives 3 or 4 more opinions on what to feed.   There are many different choices in food and no matter what each vet says, we don't know the exact ratios and what we show feed each individual dog.  You probably will get a different opinion from each person you talk to but it is your dog and you can decide what you want to feed them.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Iams is a very low quality dog food which I would never recommend feeding to any dog at all, especially after the Iams law suit revealed the fact that dead dogs and cats along with euthanasia solution were found in the Iams pet food.

Certainly feeding choices are a matter of personal preference. Over feeding young large breed dogs leads to several musculo-skeletal disorders.

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
I too have 4mth old Dane. We have just had further tests to see why he had the scours all the time. Yesterday Vets said "all clear" thank god! after putting him on Hill's prescription diet for 4 days to settle his gut. This ment trusting a vet and taking him off all other recommended by breeder. He originally was treated for Coccidia at 9weeks so all good news after I heard it can reoccur. I too got a thesis from breeder on how to care for him especially feeding guidelines. Breeder was adamant not to overfeed your pup as mentioned above by vet. This can lead to diahorrea apparently and other nutritional-long gevity problems. I tried every thing possible to get him to eat without scours for weeks, which ended in argument with breeder.Some of the things recommended was in dispute by the vets (I saw 3 in total) but then you see the breeder with magnificent dogs as you say,  you don't know who to believe in the end. I believe if your pup is getting the right amount of nutrition and a breeder should know( a vet surely can stipulate what that should be also) then you are ok. I'd like to think in a years time I can give him most food types suitable, cooked, uncooked, processed etc to suit our daily demands and not worry about someones recommendation/guidelines. It's stressful.
For now I mainly stick to breeders guidelines as he is my first purebreed Dane, whilst having great respect for our vets here in Australia and look for the middle ground that suits my pup whilst making sure he is getting what he needs for a long and happy life.Hopefully you can trust your breeder to be do the right thing? Do some research on products without being distracted by their endorsements and marketing machines. I'm sure you'll know what is good or not for your pup.