Ostomy Community
I still need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

I still need help

So the skin around my stoma was burned quite badly by the output from my stoma. My skin is still weeping are it so my bags still wont stick. I got some powder and skin preps from an ostomy clinic but they arent working. Should i go to the hospital. Im getting pretty desperate and the pain is getting worse. Ill do anything to make it stop. I cant even sleep.
Hello!  I had the same issue that you are having now.  I tried just about everything from powders to pastes to clear it up and nothing helped, actually felt like it was making it worse.  When I went for a check up to see my surgeon he suggested taking off the bag and covering the stoma with gauze to prevent letting it flow everywhere and put maalox (yes, maalox) on the infected area and let it air out for about 45 minutes (best time is first thing in the morning when you will have the least amount of output).  I did that and afterwards put a thin layer of A & D ointment on it and within 2 days the skin was almost completely healed.  After I got the skin issues under control I also started using 'Stomahesive' which is a paste that goes on the wafer around the stoma for extra protection from leakage. It works miracles!!  I hope this helps!!  I know just how horrible and miserable it can be with irritated skin that feels like it is on fire anytime output touches it!!  If you have any other questions or just need to talk, I'm only a message away!    :)