Ostomy Community
Ileostomy Problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ileostomy Problem

Greetings! I'm asking this question on behalf of my husband who has been an ileostomate for 10 months now. While he's adjusted admirably, there is one issue that is ongoing and causing him quite a bit of stress.

It seems that everytime he removes a bag in order to replace it, his stoma will expand. We aren't sure if it's the air hitting it, or if it's because he does it immediately after taking a hot shower. The problem is that once the stoma has expanded, he must cut a hole in his replacement bag that is big enough to accomodate it, but then once the bag is on the stoma will gradually shrink again and remain smaller, meaning the bag won't be a proper fit.

Any ideas? Why is his stoma expanding - is this common or normal?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
hi there my stoma does the same it seem to be normal as it is live tissue it expands and contracts .. for me i leave the bag in place when in the bath or shower then change after everyone is different ....for me when i change my bag my  stoma is quite large the as i clean around it it shrinks to a more manageble size so ive no need to recut the bag ... so i think the heat does make it expand it  ....hope that helps
I had an ileostomy, and I found that when I changed the bag it helped to remove the wafer and bag, shower without a bag, and then dry off and attach the new appliance.  That way the stoma got a chance to breathe, and by the time I was applying the new wafer my stoma was back to normal.

I hope this helps.
Your stoma will get larger and shrink because your bowel constantly moves to pass food through it.  If you haven't eaten all night and change it in the morning before you eat anything it will be smaller.  As you eat it will constantly shrink and enlarge because it is a muscle contraction moving the food through.
My husband had the stoma/bag for 2 months before the reversal. He would shower with the appliance on first thing in the morning before he ate, dried off, then laid on the bed and changed the bag. It was great, no problems or leakage with the stoma. It didn't change size either in the morning.
have question about illestomy, i have hernia around my illestomy, has anyone had problems as for as certain medications like nexium, pain medications, and certain foods i eat when on these medications causeing me to be constipated i guess or clogged up, have severe pain when this happens and have to stay off medications until this goes away. a friend of mine says this is caused by the hernia, but dr. says no . has anyone had similar problems?  thanks for any help.
Hi, my temp illy gets larger and smaller when im changing my bag, all my bags are pre cut to one size and i havent found a problem putting them on when my stoma is growing or shrinking :) as it seems to be the height that grows and not the width or diameter.
Fisherman, i also have a hernia underneath my illy, its about the size of a grapefruit, i was on chemo for 6 months and had no problems other than loose motions due to the chemo, certain foods can cause constipation, but then certain foods can loosen so i would eat or drink which ever one loosens, thankfully i dont have any hernia pain with mine.