Ostomy Community
Ilesotomy Questions
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ilesotomy Questions

Hi,

I had a high anterior resection and a bit of the small intestine removed due to severe diverticulitis done at the end of June. I have an ileostomy as a result of this. I have had all my tests and the doctors say I am ready to have the ileostomy reversed.

Since I had the ileostomy I have had nothing but very loose watery stools that have been treated with Imodium (immodium), and diet. So far I am still emptying my bag up to 15 times a day. I have been told I can drink nothing but sports drinks and as a result am up all night emptying my bladder. I am adjusting to the diet and low fiber etc.

My questions:  will it be the same after the reversal? Am I about to step into a world of stomach cramps and Imodium (immodium) forever? Will I ever be able to eat normally again or are fresh vegetables and fruit always going to be a bad thing? Will I have to continue the high salt intake?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.