Ostomy Community
Ostomy nurse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ostomy nurse

Just browsing ...I am a nurse in this area and if anyone needed help with their ostomy appliance or questions, i would be glad to help...I am an enterstomal therapist
Dear worried,

I am worried and need help. My husband is a parpalegic and has a colostomy. We have made the trip in between the US and South Africa 3 or 4 times. The last time we did it we had some problems. Once my husband is on the plane he is stuck in his seat until we reach our destination. In the past we had given him a couple of immodium to try to "clog" him up for the airline part of the trip. Last time it didn't work and we had to change his bag 3 or 4 times in his seat. No one said anything about it, but we were on a full airplane and people couldn't help but smell what was going on. Do you have any suggestions? We have been thinking that may be he should limit his intake of solids for several days before we fly. We will try the immodium again. We have an irrigation kit but don't know how to use it. (He was in the hospital in Nov. for a bowel obstruction. We asked to see an ostomy nurse and she said she didn't want to come talk to us because he had had his colostomy for 12 years. Guess she thought he had everything under control. If we had everything under control he wouldn't have been in the hospital in the first place!!!! Crappy small town hospital.) Anyway, we are leaving on March 9 and we are both in sort of a panic about this. Please we need some advice. We have a 15. 5 hour leg and a 18hour leg coming back where he will be stuck in one place.

Thanks, Jenny
How did you guys do?  have you gone on the trip yet and tried the irrigation?
You can also send me an email by putting your browser on my name and then click send message
I'm new at this my husband has had is bag for a couple of months now.. what is a irrigation? I've seen it mention but have no clue. My husband also is paralyze on top of having the bag, he will come home on the 28th of this month after 7 months long time huh :( but i'm a little worry because he gota bowel obstructure just last week they caught it before it got bad, but the one before that he was not good at all. Is there anyway to prevent the bowel obstructure or what can he do to help not get it?  thanks
Hi ann,

I guess your husband has been home for a while now - do hope that things are going OK for both of you.
Irrigation is really an enema through the colostomy, to clean out most of the material so there won't be any discharge into the bag for several hours, even a full day or more.  There is special equipment made by the companies that make ostomy bags, and you need some special instruction aboiut using it - which you can get from a WOC nurse.  There is a group of people who are irrigting, and helping each other with tips and experience, on the discussion board managed by the United Ostomy Associations of America (UOAA).  You can see that at this link: http://www.uoaa.org/forum/index.php (and look for the "Irrigation" title).  You can read as much as you want without registering, but need to register in order to post your own question.

Some people irrigate so they don't have to wear a pouch.  Others because they can't wear a pouch well due to irritation of the skin.  It is a good option for many people who have an END or SIGMOID colostomy where the discharge is usually well-formed.  If the person has loose bowel movements, it might not be as good an option.
Hello Ostomy Nurse.  I would love to ask you a question.  I had surgery for Crohn's disease 9 months ago.  I have a temporary ileostomy that now is permanent.  I can live and accept this recent development, with the exception of my skin that is constantly irritated under my appliance.  The first inch from my stoma is fine but the rest of my skin is an irritated, open, blistered mess.  This makes the appliance not want to stay stuck to my skin.  Since my ostomy was for emergency purposes, my skin is not even/flat so I use stomahesive powder around the stoma, and then a ribbon of stomahesive paste around that and then where my skin has a deep scar, I use a flat piece of paste cut from a ring. So where all this is, stays protected and fine but the rest is in direct contact with the appliance.  I use SenSura long wearing flanges with the pouches to match.  I've used several other products with the same results.  Is there anything at all that I could do to try to heal my skin so that the appliance will stick?  I've tried sprinkling the Stomahesive protective powder, dampening it with water and then letting it dry before applying the flange, convatec protective barrier wipes.  I've also tried to let my skin "dry" in the air and I've applied Polysporin and hydrocortisone cream to irritated areas that are exposed but NOTHING has worked.  My home care nurse does not know what else to try.  Since I now must live with this the rest of my life, I am desperate for some sort of solution.  Could you suggest anything?  Thanks.
I am not there to c it..but once..and this is difficult..I had to put a patient on clear liquids..jello, broth etc..until the skin healed..after no intake for 12 hrs or so the ostomy will slow down...as liquids go to the kidneys...at this time u can apply moist dressings to the site using wound gel or a product like that...just keep it moist so the cells can swin and grow new epithelial tissue/or new skin....only will take 48 hrs as a rule if u r fairly healthy

Then u have to find an appliance that works for u.....if u send me a pic of ur stoma i could help more....i am thinking it is flush (skin level) or in a fold...it is true most nurses do not know how to deal with an ostomy when it gets complicated and that is why there r WOCNs...and it would be good if u could find one in ur area///a few home health care agencies have them...and almost all hospitals have at least one..callin the hopital where the stoma was created may help...ur problem is leakage.....or it could be yeast...u can rule yeast out by using nystatin powder intead of stoma powder...need a scrip from ur doctor..either way u gotta give it a rest and do some skin care or u will never get anything to stick...an ostomy  belt will help if this is not possible

I like hollister...they have a conves ring that solves lots of problems for me...convex.....also there r 2 companies who make special appliances..Marlin and NuHope....but often and convex ring with a 2-piece will work....sometimes a 1-piece is the answer cos it is so flexible as there is no flange

i am sorry i neglected this forum but i used to check and there were never any questions...will do better folks  (:
I just want to let u guys know that u r welcome to pm me anytime..just click on my name and it will send u to my profile where u can send me a note to ask me to check this forum or a pm whiich is a private email to me
and ika is right..an irrigation is simply an enema thru ur stoma...no biggie..for a colostomy that is//u dont irrigate ilestomies as a rule...and u cant irrigate for a while after surgery..until the dr says it is ok

many do this each am/some every other am..can take 45 min or so...they give the enema by hanging the bag of water overhead..it has a cone shaped tip to accomodate a stoma..u let it go in slowly then they make an irrigation sleev which is just a long bag that will hold alot more than a regular pouch.....u have to have a 2-piece to irrigate using the sleeve...thenj they can go to work and simply put a very small pouch/some just cap their stoma when they feel confident..it would take a few months to feel fool proof as everyone is different
I nlove helping people..tis a passion of mine..i want u guys to pm me if it is private or send me a message if it is not private//If I had know people were seeking answers i woulda been here in a heartbeat..dont get alot of posts here but it seems to be picking up some..keep posting...anything i can help u with..for fast response..pm it top me
my mother has an ostomy and it is so broken down that a bag is not staying on any suggestions
i canno seem to heal the irritation around my stoma..help it is very painful and i have noticed that my meds are not dissolving into my system...i am wearing a diaper and putting ointment on the area after i washed it ...it has been 4 days now..i will be going to my PCP in 2 days is there something i can ask her for to resolve it by prescription..she is not the doc that did the surgery ..
Hi I am an Enterotomal Therapy Nurse ( Ostomy Nurse)from Canada.
I am just wondering where you are and how you go about setting up a forum like this as I can see the need in this area as well to help those people who have an ostomy.
I did not set this forum up.  Medhelp set it up and i saw it so answer folks here and there.  I come on every so often to answer questions.  Not enough though ):   There are so many who get, lost in the cracks after discharge.  I need to check in more often and I think if people got responses more quickly, it would help

Laura
If you click on my blue name, it will take u to a place to send me a message.  Thx for helping ou (: