Ostomy Community
Post Surgery Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Post Surgery Depression

I went in for laprascopic surgery on October 13, 2009 to remove a portion of my sigmoid colon due to numerous bouts of diverticulitis. Everything went fine until about 5 days after surgery, my colon leaked so I was back to the hospital for a second surgery. This time an ileostomy was performed and I now am wearing a bag. If all goes well I will be able to be reattched. I am having alot of depression, and am wondering if that is common after having two surgeries in a period of approx 2. On the one hand I feel I should be grateful that I will be able to be reattached, but on the other hand it it hard to accept that my body isn't working like it is supposed to. I am 60 years old and had never spent a day in the hospital before all this. I feel soooooo depressed.
You know we are in the 2% of people that have this complication?  I too had sigmoid colon resection (not lap) in Aug and "dehissed" on day 5 at home.  2nd surg done with colostomy and wound vac in place---one wk later colon became ischemic and 3rd surg done---now have "engineered hernia" of intestines and colostomy with reversal planned 9-12 mos from now.  I spent 2.5 months in hospital with multiple complications.  In rehab and PT....I totally understand your feelings.  I have a friend in her 40s with colon cancer and often think I should count my blessings that mine was due to diverticulitis.
I am on an antidepressant and believe it is certainly warranted.  Will also attend ostomy support group next month.  Please pat yourself on the back for just getting out of bed each day.  I will be so glad when I can give up the walker, but still so depleted that it will be some time.  Research states that for every day a person is immobile in hosp that it takes 2 weeks per day to regain muscle mass, strength, etc.  I still cry every time I change my appliance--it smacks me in the face---but trust that this will get better with time.  Without the support of family and friends, I don't know where I would be.  I am having a difficult time dealing with the approaching holidays......I know this is scattered but hope it makes sense!
It sounds as though you and I had the exact same scenario.  I had my resection sue to diverticulitis and on day 5 ruptured and had surgery.  I spent 2 weeks in hospital and came out with iliostomy.  I waited 4 months and now have been reversed.  It is stressful and so scary all the time