Post Surgery Depression
I went in for laprascopic surgery on October 13, 2009 to remove a portion of my sigmoid colon due to numerous bouts of diverticulitis. Everything went fine until about 5 days after surgery, my colon leaked so I was back to the hospital for a second surgery. This time an ileostomy was performed and I now am wearing a bag. If all goes well I will be able to be reattched. I am having alot of depression, and am wondering if that is common after having two surgeries in a period of approx 2. On the one hand I feel I should be grateful that I will be able to be reattached, but on the other hand it it hard to accept that my body isn't working like it is supposed to. I am 60 years old and had never spent a day in the hospital before all this. I feel soooooo depressed.
You know we are in the 2% of people that have this complication?  I too had sigmoid colon resection (not lap) in Aug and "dehissed" on day 5 at home.  2nd surg done with colostomy and wound vac in place---one wk later colon became ischemic and 3rd surg done---now have "engineered hernia" of intestines and colostomy with reversal planned 9-12 mos from now.  I spent 2.5 months in hospital with multiple complications.  In rehab and PT....I totally understand your feelings.  I have a friend in her 40s with colon cancer and often think I should count my blessings that mine was due to diverticulitis.
I am on an antidepressant and believe it is certainly warranted.  Will also attend ostomy support group next month.  Please pat yourself on the back for just getting out of bed each day.  I will be so glad when I can give up the walker, but still so depleted that it will be some time.  Research states that for every day a person is immobile in hosp that it takes 2 weeks per day to regain muscle mass, strength, etc.  I still cry every time I change my appliance--it smacks me in the face---but trust that this will get better with time.  Without the support of family and friends, I don't know where I would be.  I am having a difficult time dealing with the approaching holidays......I know this is scattered but hope it makes sense!
It sounds as though you and I had the exact same scenario.  I had my resection sue to diverticulitis and on day 5 ruptured and had surgery.  I spent 2 weeks in hospital and came out with iliostomy.  I waited 4 months and now have been reversed.  It is stressful and so scary all the time