Ostomy Community
Reversal time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Reversal time

I am a 43 year old female and I had emergency colostomy surgery after my colon ruptured on March 19. I am supposed to have the reversal surgery in July. Is this too early, and what happens if it is? This has been horrible, I have to get back to work soon or I will end up homeless. I feel like a prisoner and don't feel comfortable around people. How am I supposed to work? You have no control over the noise and odor. I am a very clean and friendly person, but this thing has taken over my life. I am feeling very desperate !! I could really use a friend who understands what this is like.
I had my op in January and am getting reconnected in september/october. I could do it in july, but have opted to wait a bit due to some obligations I have in the late summer. Im kind of sad that your having such a bad time with your ostomy, but please remember that its only been a couple months. This adjustment takes some time to get used to, and finding the right appliance system is key. I am a 44 yr old woman too and the first cpl months were very hard, but as soon as i found a bag system and belt that worked for me, I am wonderful now. In fact, Im scared to death of the reconnect op because Im doing so well with the bag. Nothing about it stops me from doing anything. Just 4 months in, I swim, get into the hot tub, garden, socialize with friends, go dancing, to dinner and for cocktails. I volunteer in my community and am an avid cook and cake decorator. Im constantly busy and it will get better for you too...with time. Living with the baqg is very do-able, it just takes some time to adjust. ou can still lead a full life, you just have to adapt a bit...much like if you had braces on your teeth, or a broken limb. You can do this. I dont know the circumstances behind your ostomy (mine was colon rupture due to acute diverticulitis), but for most of us, our bags saved our lives and for me, I must embrace that fact. Ruby, (my stoma) is a daily reminder that I am still alive, and the alternative was not so great, right? I will see my surgeon in june to set the date for my reconnect. Im anxious and terrified at the same time, but i do plan to go through with the procedure. Lets keep in touch...we can help each other. So far, this forum has been a major player in helping me through my ordeal ( which was HORRIBLE at first) but these fine folks are here to help and support. Im so lucky to have found this site. I wish you love and luck...keep yourself healthy and fit and your surgery will go well and you'll heal faster..keep your mind and attitude healthy too! Best wishes,

JilH

"Better the bag then the box!" (fave quote)
Usually wait about 3 months or so, so looks like you're right on schedule.  Good luck!

JilH

Thank you so much for the uplifting words !! It sounds like you are doing great !!! Good for you !! Peace and Love my friend !!