Ostomy Community
diet and nutrition
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

diet and nutrition

I have had a total colectomy (my entire colon removed), over two yrs ago and I am miserable.  I go to the bathroom maybe over 10x a day or more, and am constantly so sore it hurts to walk.  Everyone suggests different things to eat but no one really knows.  If anyone has had this surgery, please help me with diet and nutrition.  I am on so many drugs and want to go off some do to side effects.  Tincture of Opium, AmitriptylineHCL 50mg, (which I think my side effect is hair loss), clonazepam 0.5mg, not sure if this also contributes to hair loss, but mainly need to hear from someone who has had this operation.  I do not have cancer, nor do I have a bag.  I had Diverticulitis with bleeding episodes and now I think I would rather have taken my chances on bleeding to death.  I do not reccommend this surgery unless it is an emergency or cancer.  Please help.
Thanks,
Ellis804
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
When you had your colon removed what was it replaced with, a j-pouch?  Are you still having trouble?
Blank
401095_tn?1351395370
many who have this surgery do have a bag?? in some cases it could be better than the pain u r dealing with//which alot of it may be to avoid having a bag....i have seen people in this position choose a bag over a life with little quality or incontinence....the brat diet is what is recommended...banans , rice,, applesouce and tapioca..stay hydrated as well
Blank
My son had an ostomy reversal & reconstructive surgery anal canal  etc. Born with imperforated anus. Its been 14 months and he is having great difficulty digesting foods very tempermental.  He is not having bowel movements on his own they have to be stimulated.  I am learning his diet as we go.  I need help on what or what not to feed him to help him be acitve.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ostomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank