Ostomy Community
opinions wanted

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

opinions wanted

I recently had surgery for a perforated colon (Diverticulitis), now have a colostomy pouch which is supposed to be reversable. The surgeon who did the emergency surgery is a general/thoracic surgeon. He did a good job, but I was wondering if I should go to a Colon surgeon for the reversal in about 6 months? Any suggestions?
Tags: surgery
i recently had the same op for the same reason and am also set for a reconnect in 6 months...i never thought of what you are asking...let me know what you learn!  Tnx!
I would recomend having a colorectal surgeon do it. I have had it done by both a general surgaon, and a specialist. The specialist did a much better job!
Thanks for your comment. I'm thinking the same thing. The only reason the general surgeon did the disconnect is because it was an emergency case, and he's the one on call in the E.R. I personally know a colorectal surgeon (have known him for years). He has 34 yrs. experience compared to 9 years for the general surgeon.