Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
aggressive rabbit

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

aggressive rabbit

Hi! So glad I found this forum.  About 4 months ago I adopted a loped bunny. the family I got her from gave her up because the daughter was allergic. I also have a small mix breed dog 6 yrs old and she got along fine with the rabbit in the house,playing with her, gave her kisses, bunny laid down by the dog all good stuff during the winter months. The last 2 weeks we've been taking the bunny in the backyard to hang out and play since it's been nice out. She played with the dog the first couple of times until recently.  Over the weekend the rabbit attacked the dog standing on her hind legs and punching her and going to bite the dog, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sunday we had them both in the yard again and the bunny keeps running after the dog. the dog cant go on the deck or under the deck the bunny attacks her. My dog hasnt hurt the bunny in anyway, but I can tell when this happens she is trying to defend herself, growls and trys to get away from the bunny.  I would never have thought this would ever happen. Why is this happening all of a sudden and what can I do about it.  thanks for your help.
Tags: animals
Hi, I have a female lop and I read your post-- I was just wondering how old your bunny is?  He or she may be going through teenage hormones-- my rabbit is a female and when she went through this, she all of a sudden started lunging at me, growling (believe it or not!) and trying to bite me!  They can get aggressive when they mature, and the only way to fix that is to get them spayed or nuetered.  I got my bunny spayed and now she is fine.  The only time she is ever aggressive is if she is really stressed and feels cornered-- it's only happened once since I've had her spayed and it's because my husband was chasing her around and kept cornering her to try to pick her up.  Also, keep in mind that unless you are going to breed your rabbit, they will have less likelyhood of getting reproductive cancer if you get them fixed.  Good luck!
Hello, rabbits are naturally dominant animals, if its with a dog its key is to survive as the dog is the rabbits natural predator.
Have you seen any unusual behaviour between the rabbit and the dog before this all happened ?
The only way to solve this is build a run for it so it cannot get anywhere near the dog or get it castrated (which would be the best thing for it)