Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
my hamster is so fat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

my hamster is so fat

hi, my hamster is a teddy bear big fluffy hamster. hes almost 2 (birthday in two days) and he has like tumors or really big lumps on either side of his belly area. i know hes going to die soon because my old hamster had he same thing. but my hamster seems to be doing really good..he still moves around and eats his fruit and lettus. he doesnt really drink his water but he never really did when he was little. but my friend said he might have cancer...which could explain the tumors on him. they look really dark purplely black and are about the size of a golf ball. maybe a bit smaller. he doesnt seem to be in pain cause he doesnt make a noise or try to get away if i touch them. i just want to know what this condtion or illness is, why it happens and if there is anything i can do to help him get better. please help!
As a senior pet it's not unusual for it to develop growths. What you don't know is whether they're plain old cysts or cancer. It's unlikely that you'll find a vet to do surgery on him either.  You may find a vet willing to do a needle aspiration on a tumor so you know what you're dealing with but then what?

When my rats developed tumors I just pampered them, kept them comfortable as long as possible. As long as they were able to move around, eat and go potty, I just let them live out their lives. If your hamster seems to be suffering (can't breathe well, isn't going to the bathroom, just lays around) you may want to consider putting him to sleep. It's a difficult thing to think about but let's hope he doesn't go through that. Most of my rodents just went to sleep one night and that was all.
You cant do anything, sadly almost all rodents die of tumors, cancer or respiratory problems. They are like humans and can get all the same disease we get. Ive had 10 hampsters 4 gerbals 4 mice 2 degu and 2 guinee pigs. None of them lived over 3 yrs. Love your pet while he's still around, and give him extra treats. Leave a sock or tunnel in its cage to have a nice place to go when he is ready to die. I always found mine in their tunnel in the end.