Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
sneezing rats?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

sneezing rats?

So i have 2 rats and i am in the prosess of introducing them. (the new one had already gone through a quarentine period in a seperate room for 2.5 weeks) they are good friends and i am just waiting for the little one to be big enough to move into the older ones cage so theres no chance of her escaping.
ANYWAYS.
the older one yazoo, sneezes a lot. ever since we have gotten her she sneezes. i thought it was a respitory infection so we have been to the vet a few times and shes been on medicine a few times but shes still sneezing.
(we thought she was sneezing from her bedding so we changed to a different kind, and no, they do NOT have wood shavings) she only sneezes once every so often
well now the little one is sneezing a lot but normally if i open a window or i take her out where she gets fresh air.

it is allergy season so i am wondering if rats have allergies and what would be considered "normal" sneezing ammount

(and they both show no other signs of being sick, they are both insainly hyper and love their special reward treats :P and i dont know if it makes a difference or not, but they are fed a regular diet of lab blocks and fresh fruits and veggies with an occasional treat of a peice of cereal)
This is a tough one. You've covered all the bases with vet visits, bedding changes, medications. I've had rats over the years and the only time mine would have nasal issues is when they got very old. I've never had one with allergies. The interesting part is the older one was sneezing, the young one was not. And now they both are sneezing. Was there any difference in their cages or food when they were living apart?

I live in an area that is known for allergens (lots of trees, plants and rainy seasons with mold and mildew) but my rats were never plagued with sneezing. If they're sneezing a couple times  a day and there's no nasal discharge, I'd say don't worry about it. But I really don't have any other ideas what might be the cause.
i have had the older one since december 4th, i actually had gotten 2 at that time but one died. i assumed it was from a respitory infection since we had been going back and forth between the vet with the 2 of them getting medicine, and i guess they had been giving the infection back and forth to each other. however i now i think that one (RIP Twiglet) had a tumor or something like that. after twiglet died i waited 4 months to make sure yazoo, (the older rat) didnt still have a respitory infection. (after twiglet died it totally cleaned EVERYTHING in my room, the walls, floor, cages, everything) then i got the little one, lilly. lilly haddnt been sneezing when we brought her home until a few days later. now she only sneezes a few times a day but its like 10 sneezes in a row. i dont know why, but id rather not go back to the vet because they werent the best when it came to medicine and werent giving us enough to last the few weeks we had to give it to them (and we were EVERY careful giving them the medicine)    
I personally think she isnt sick right now. the only symptom she has is the sneezing.  (oh and theres no red stuff coming out of their noses or eyes)
10 sneezes in a row sounds like something getting up her nose (a tiny particle perhaps) and it irritates her until she blows it out (Thar she blows!).  You may want to keep trying different things, trial and error till you find the cause. Or if they don't seem terribly bothered by it just as we sneeze without problems then let it go.