Reptiles & Amphibians Community
Bearded Dragon Shedding
About This Community:

Welcome to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet reptiles and amphibians!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bearded Dragon Shedding

7191601?1314587591
Hello!
I recently (about a month and a half ago) adopted a four year old bearded dragon from a couple looking to start a family. They gave me everything they thought I would need. I quickly recognized the problems with their set up and worked to fix them all. Now my beardie lives in a 45 gallon tank with a spotlight style heat lamp, a full spectrum UV bulb, and a red heating light for nighttime. He was being fed superworms everyday, and didn't eat much for veggies. I now have him eating veggies everyday (though I often have to hand feed him) and worms only occasionally. He's shed his head and beard since he arrived, and now he's shedding one of his legs. I thought he was shedding the base of his tail as well since it has been lighter than the rest of his skin for about a week and a half now, but it hasn't shed. I tried gently rubbing it with a baby toothbrush while bathing him (which I do every three days during shedding). As soon as the bristles made contact, he jerked and tried to escape his tub. Now I'm worried that he may have an injury there. The skin has not shed, so I know it isn't just new skin. Does anyone know what this could be? Hopefully the picture helps!