Senior, Heart Attack, Induced Coma
My 88 year old Grandmother hasn't been feeling too well the last few days.  She had been throwing up and feeling very fatigued.  My aunt took her to the hospital to get checked out when they said her heartbeat was incredibly weak.  Minutes later she collapsed due to her heart stopping.  The immediately initiated CPR and used a defibrillator to get her heart going again.  She was having troubles breathing so they had to sedate her into an induced coma before airlifting her to a hospital in a larger city.

They stabilized her upon arrival and cut off the coma inducing drugs 24 hours later.  I also believe they connected an artificial pacemaker while being airlifted then installed a temporary one when at the hospital.  

What sort of chances are there for survival?  She has been stable for the full time she has been at the city hospital.  How long could it take for her to come out of the coma and what could we expect?

You have to wait and see. Every case is different. You don't know her heart stopped, despite the fact they administered CPR. If a defibrillator is necessary and used promptly there should be no brain damage.

You don't sedate someone because they are having trouble breathing. They simply don't want to take the time to explain things to you. Sometimes an endotracheal tube is emplaced and not well tolerated. In that case a sedative may be administered to prevent the patient from pulling out the tube.

You won't get a good idea of her mental status until at least three months have passed.

Meanwhile be optimistic, visit her often, hold her hand and talk to her.

Don't give up hope.
She woke up this morning and remembers all of us around her. She's very reliant on the temporary pacemaker she has. They are going to put a permanent one in on Monday. She's very stable with her heartbeat at constant 60-70 bpm. She wants to talk to us but is still very raspy because of the breathing tube she had. I'm worried about her because she wants to sit up but isn't able to due to all the tubes she has. It's very stressful as we want her to rest but she is uncomfortable. Hopefully all goes well.
Excellent!

I am very happy for all of you!