Senior Health Community
cold or flue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

cold or flue

ache a lot, dizzy, some diahhorrea, tired and weak, blocked nose, is this cold or flue
Hello Cleo,

I am so sorry to hear you are ill. We all hate those symptoms!!

Good question..... Because you have diarrhea I am leaning more towards a flu-like virus. If you did NOT have diarrhea I would say sinusitis...or cold.

What ever you have I hope you are soon feeling better. Don't get dehydrated. Be sure to drink plenty of good fluids. Rest as often as you can. You can also talk to your pharmacist to  ask what OTC meds may help with the symptoms. If your symptoms don't clear in a few days or get worse be sure to see your PCP.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Feel better soon!
~Tuck
hello everybody i have cold or flue I dont know. but my nose is blocked & cophing+my stumic is hearting (i know some words are wrong thats becose i am from asia).                

lahakky ghuy meens thankyou                

lahakky ghuy meens thankyou                

lahakky ghuy meens thankyou                
You might have more than one thing going on at the same time.  You might have a stomach virus, or some other gastrointestinal ailment which a doctor needs to discover.  You also have symptoms which sound like you may have a cold and even possibly an infection, depending what is causing your dizziness.  

Since you are being overwhelmed with so many symptoms at the same time, blocked nose, dizziness, cough, diarrhea and your stomach hurting, you might want to check in with your family doctor and see if there is anything they need to treat you for.  

You might be feeling dizzy because of the diarrhea causing dehydration, so be sure and drink some gatorade (or G2) or you might try some apple juice which lists potassium is in it and eat a little salt or some salted soda crackers and try eating bananas to try to help replace the fluid and electrolytes you have lost in the diarrhea.

If you are not able to keep fluids in and they keep passing out of you with the diarrhea, a doctor should be able to help you with IV fluids to try to replace the fluids you have lost.  They should also instruct you on the type of diet you should maintain with your symptoms.

But you also might potentially feel dizzy with a sinus related or ear infection, so seeing a doctor is something you should strongly consider doing for that as well, to see if you need antibiotics.  

If the doctor prescribes for you antibiotics, take some acidophilus capsules at the same time, because antibiotics kills good bacteria along with the bad and that can cause diarrhea.  The acidophilus is helpful toward replacing some of the good bacteria that are killed off.

To try to help build your immunity since you are so sick, take Ester-C vitamin and zinc.  And you might take some tylenol for your body aches or try taking a luke-warm (tepid) bath.  Be sure and get plenty of rest- don't try to work as usual or to do a lot of exercise and get plenty of sleep.  Warm chicken broth is a plus when you are sick too!