Transplants Community
Heart transplant criteria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Heart transplant criteria

My dad was recently referred by his specialist for a heart transplant. The word transplant has been hovering around for a few years now as my Dad's heart has continued to deteriorate after several heart attacks. He recently received a letter back from the transplant hospital whch stated that because he had a bi-pass in his leg he would not be able to have a heart transplant. It didn't explain why that was the case and I am struggling to understand why he was referred in the first place with his specialist knowing his full medical background. My question is - is that really the end of it - will he definitely not be able to have a transplant with that conflict? If his conditions worsens will they reconsider him?
I only know that diseases of the neck and leg vessels can exclude a patient for heart transplantation. Perhaps different centers treat some contraindications differently but I really don't know about it. I doubt that if his condition worsens that would change the decision of the center which denied him because their main objective is to prolong life and if your Father's condition worsens the likelihood of a heart transplant being successful might also worsen. But, as I said, I don't know much about heart transplantation so my opinion isn't really worth very much. Good luck, Mike