Transplants Community
whole eye transplantation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

whole eye transplantation

Sir, Is complete eye transplantation is possible? If not, please tell why?
"Is a whole eye transplant possible?

The optic nerve, which sends visual signals from the eye to the brain, consists of about one million fibers. Because transplanting a whole eye would require that the optic nerve be cut and then reattached, scientists do not expect that this type of procedure will be possible. Researchers are focusing on how to regenerate damaged optic nerves and how to replace damaged retinal cells with healthy transplants. However, this work is in its early stages and it may be many years before there are any findings that could be used to restore vision in humans."

From: http://www.nei.nih.gov/about/faq.asp
This page was last modified in August 2007

Mike
My 21 years old son had traumatic bibi injury in left eye in June 2001.Retina was lacerated but attached with quite a few surgeries. The retna detached again and lost pressure in the eye. We got a prosthetic lense for him but now he is at the verge of taking the eye completely out dut to pain and discomfort and replacing with a prosthetic eye-ball and lens. Is there any other option avaialable due to his age?
I am 31 years old and three years ago i had a traumatic eye injury while doing some yard work. I have lost all of my vision in my left eye and have had numerous surgeries to try and keep my retina attached however i have been advised that the pressure in my eye is around 4 or 5. The next step for me is Cornia transplant. I get constant headaches and problems with balancing. I am also wondering what the future will hold for my eye. What are my options???  ..
Dear Sir.
Is the whole eye  transplantation possible or will be possible in the nearest future?
Mikheil Elizbarashvili
My sister in law had lost one of her eyes at the age of one year due to some eye infection(now she is 22 years). Now she is using an artificial eye. Is it possible to transplat an eye exactly with normal function?

Arun Prasad
I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS POSTEDHERE, I JUST WANT TO KNOW, WAS THERE NEVER A CASE OF "EXPERIMENTAL" SURGERY DONE ON WHOLE EYE TRANSPLANTS?
THE REASON FOR MY ASKING IS THAT I HAVE BEEN BLIND SINCE THE AGE OF 2 AFTER AN ACCIDENT, YES MY EYE HAS SHRUNK AND YES I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE EVEN TRYING A PROCEEDURE LIKE THIS.

REGARDS
DALE REBELO

DALE
What about the artificial eye transplant sir? Does the artificial eye have the same function of the normal eye? Because I have a problem of heritable conic cornea and of course I had made 7 cornea transplant surgeries in the both two eyes before in my childhood but the result is 6/60 for both eyes only and of course I need to improve this result and there is no hope that this will happen if I repeat the cornea transplant surgery again so I need to search for another option.
sir i lost my one eye on the age of 5-6 year and one eye is normal hovever i wear a glass ofpower -2.5 for other eye, i m a student and my age is 22year now, can i get treatment of of left eye( which i lost), is there plantation is possible, naturally or artificially(if it works) if yes please tell me the solution where i can get plantation give address plaese if not why...
  thanks
sir i lost my right eye vision  when i was ten due to an accident.I underwent operation but its worthless then  for ten years i have been suffering in frequent tears that comes frequently from my right eye.Is there any solution for this?
Dear Sir/Madam
i thank u for enables us the opportunity to express us on this site concerning health (eyes) problems. Well my elder sister undergo an operation in Chennai for the detachment of retina of left eye. Right eye was badly damage they was enable to treat it. After surgery she came back to Mauritius, where the local doctor remove the silicone oil after quite lots of time for the first time. She was enables to see but visual dull after coming from Chennai.But now local doctor remove second time but her visual disappear .I would like to have your advice and know if there are any means of transplantation.
Eye transplants are science fiction at the moment, there is no such thing. Picture it like this. You have a digital camera which is connected to your computer. It is connected by millions of tiny wires all of the same colour. If you change any of the wires, then there is no way the computer will be able to reproduce the image correctly. Now you want to use a new camera, but the wires all have to be cut. The new camera has millions of wires, all the same colour. How would you possibly know which wire to connect to which?
The next problem is the nerves which sent the image to the brain are a tightly packed bundle, to try and seperate them would break them. The only way to try and achieve such a goal is the hope stem cell research finds an answer, whereby stem cells pre programmed will reconnect the correct wires. If a retina is detached, the wires are all still connected, and if there is very little or no damage, then the sight will be hardly affected.
Another form of research is using digital camera chips to use an an eye. This is implanted in the eye but the image is next to useless due to the lack of technology in sending the image to the brain. There is really no resolution to the image yet.
I did read something years ago about an experiment of rats. They cut the spinal chord and attached a tube to each half, guiding it out of the body for observation. Over days, using a special combination of chemicals in the tube, the spinal chord grew and reconnected, giving use of the back legs again. I have no idea what happened to that research and expected it to be used with optic nerves etc.
i was just wondering my brother got shot in his eye so it took out one and the other eye is still there but he can not see at all and he is 36 years of age and i want to know is there anything we can do for him just to see anything if there chance if he can out of it a lil every time i think about it i want to cry but i just give all my felling to God i just pray and have faith that God will heal him and give all the eye doctor some kind of break to make people see again that use to my brother got kids and this just happen to him 2010 he was talking like how he going to live with out seein again but oi know god is workin with him amen
sir, what if after trauma retina is spared and other things are damaged. cornea,lens,vitrious are just helpful for transmitting light.
Does anyone ever answer these questions? I only see questions posted, am I missing the answers somewhere?
my son was born with a eye that is too small and they say that he has no sight in it at all. They also say he might only have a little sight in his other eye is there something they could do to improve the sight in the better eye and any way to transplant a whole eye for the other side. He is only 11 weeks right now but the doctors say the earlier we find stuff out the better.
            I am a 2nd-year junior resident of Dept. of radiotherapy.I have recently been diagnosed as serous Pigmentary epithelial detachment -multiple in bilateral eyes.Of them the left eye has got a lesion is sub- foveal.For that my eyesight is deprived.I am watching the AMSLER GRID to see the progression everyday.but no progression or improvement.I got the problem in last 4 months.A Central serus retinopathy developed in left eye seen in OCT within a few days of diagnosis of PED,but resolved within a week.There is no evidence of neovascularisation in auto-fluoroscopy.Previously my distant vision was 6/5(before PED) in left eye,but now it is only 6/12 and also distortion in left eye.I have some underlying anxiety/tension for last few years and this may be the etiology behind this PED/CSR.I am sending my last OCT in attachmentI am really tensed regarding this situation.And also do not know what I should do.I just want to regain my eye-sight. Kindly advise me regarding the treatment,as I have been kept under observation only .I know,individual variation regarding management is there,but as a doctor I just want to know whether I need any active intervention or not.Afterall it is related to my life.And if there is any need of any kind of precaution to be taken,kindly advise me.
Hello everybody! Many seem to not understand the fact that the person who opened the thread was ASKING if eye transplant is possible. He/she is no doctor and has no medical training at all (i assume) and is asking for help like all of you. Somehow people here mistankenly thought that there is a doctor that will answer to their problems. Read carefully! The first person asked YOU if the eye transplant is possible. If you have an ANSWER, please REPLY! Otherwise, you are just waisting time on fake hopes... Asking here about something is like asking for medical help from a patient instead of a doctor. I hope that helped some people out there. The right answer you will find asking a REAL doctor in person. Expect hight costs... Bless you all
I was completely blind when I was born because I was so premature. The doctors did an eye surgery on both my eyes and they were saved. I was put in an ir machine that kept my breathing normal, but the nurse turned the air up and left it on for about 30 minutes, it was only supposed to be on or 15 seconds. Because of that nurses mistake, I lost the pressure in my right eye. The doctors had said that they could do the surgery again, but it would most likely make me retarded. So now I'm 14 and am still completely blind in my right eye which lost pressure and the nerve is detached. I ve been wanting a miracle to happen, like everyone else,so is there by chance any hope at all for a whole entire eye transplant? It would change my life if there was, so please, could someone help me?
We the parents may exchange our eyes with the eyes of our children? Their eyesight is week.

Please advise.
Hi my name is Deyanissa bonifaco i was born in New york ive been suffuring of cataracts and high pressure on both of my eyes since i was eight years old.ive lost my right eye cause of the high pressure so my nerve doesint work any more but i can see blurie from that eye ive became crosseyed from my left eye and i was wondering if theres anything we can do for my eyes any kind of surgery or anything that can help me with my eye im reaching out to you cause i need help i have three kids of my own and take care of them myself ive been on disbility since i was eight do you think theres a way that medicare can help me pay half   for any surgery in the future and can you help me?please
My brother lost his right eye in an accident. After accident too many operations done by the doctor but he lost the visibility of that eye.Is there any procedure that we can change his whole eye so that visibility of his eye will be back.
HELLO MY NAME IS BURNARD, IM 29 NOW BUT WHEN I WAS 16 I HAD CANCER, AT 19 I HAD A  BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT, ALSO AT 19 I HAD CMV SPREADING IN MY RIGHT EYE AND A INPLANT PUT IN TO PREVENT SPREADNG. WELL THE INPLANT ENDED UP COMING LOOSE WITHIN THE EYE AND MY  RETINA WAS DAMAGED. SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD 4 EYE SURGERYS AND NO HOPE OF FIXING IT. NOW I AM MARRIED AND I HAVE A WONDERFULL SON, BUT WHAT I DON'T HAVE IS A DADDY FOR HIM TO BE PROUD OFF, I HAVE TRIDE EVERYTHING TO GET A GOOD HONEST JOB TO TAKE CARE OF MY WIFE AND MY SON, I HAVE TRIED THE ARMY, BOAT TUGGING, AIR FORCE, LAW IN FORCEMENT, AND MANY MORE, ALL OF WHITCH REJECTED ME BECAUSE OF MY VISION. EYE DOCTORS DON'T EVEN WANT TO FIX MY CATARACT IN MY LEFT EYE (MY GOOD EYE) BECAUSE IT'S MY ONLY EYE AND EVEN IF IT'S A SMALL RISK, IT'S STILL A RISK THAT COULD BLIND ME ALL TOGETOR, I DON'T ONLY WANT VISION IN MY RIGHT EYE, BUT I NEED IT, AND IF THERE IS NO WAY OF FIXING THE EYE OR GETTING A EYE TRANSPLANT I AM WILLING TO BE A TEST SUBJECT, ANYTHING TO KNOW I TRIED EVERYTHING, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO THAT COULD BE USE FULL PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ***@****   think you very much good luck to you all and go bless
there a doctor in russia that has done sucessfull full eye replacment in 2000 or 2001 in a woman that was blind for 20 years he still does them now but ur talking £64 thousand pounds per eye owch lol i supose more he does cheaper it gets but lot of money
From all i have read from people having eye problems who posted it on this site, its very clear that at the moment, medical science has very little to offer to the numerous eye problems. All hope is not lost. There is someone who has the power for ALL POSSIBILITY. He once asked a question; I am the God of all flesh, is there anything too difficult for me to do? I believe seriously in miracles and I have personally experienced one before. All things are possible only if you can believe. Jesus is willing to heal all that comes to him. You will truly get more than you bargained for: a whole new life experience .
Hy my name is Hermelinda i was born with only one eye i can see with one eye but my left eye never grew do you think i can get a eye transplant o I wish I could I  have been very unhappy person  I have a fake eye and I hate people when they stair at me or make comments about my eye I cant get a good job because of my eye if there is anything new or experiment I am willing to do
Hy my name is Hermelinda i was born with only one eye i can see with one eye but my left eye never grew do you think i can get a eye transplant o I wish I could I  have been very unhappy person  I have a fake eye and I hate people when they stair at me or make comments about my eye I cant get a good job because of my eye if there is anything new or experiment I am willing to do you see I dont have money I always play mega and lotto to see If I win so I could get eye transplant
My Father is in early 50 ise and he has the problem with one of his eye but the other eye works fine.

Due to infection in one of his eye, his eye turned completely white, which happened when he was in college (his age was 20 around). But now am worried for his vision as he is growing old and am thinking of his eye transplantation. Is it possible and a good option to do the transplant at this age. If yes please suggest the hospital and cost

I lost both my eyes in a childhood accident which makes it difficult to see. I've tried different kinds of eyeglasses including a pair that cost thousands of dollars and they have not helped. I was wondering if I could get an eye transplant. Is it expensive? I have no insurance. I have trouble driving without my eyes and hope I do not get caught. Please help.
there are no doctors responding because there is a lack of empathy in their profession, good luck to you guys though.
Sir mother is suffering frm kachbindu and now doctor told that there is not option to save that damaged eye sir tell me about that eye transplant
please sir i had an early accident in my  childhood and this had made me to have cornea ulcer please can cornea transplantation help me retain my sigth because i can not see with that eye.And how will it cost me please
Dear Doctor.
I read that there is a big chance that in the nearest years will be possible to install into the eye a camera, which will be transorming information directly to the brain.
Does it mean that this device will be kind of replacement for an eye and will have the similair functions?
Mikheil Elizbarashvili
I have a problem with my eye: a little boy 5 years old to hit a child with a knife in the left eye and cut the nerve of matiou.Stin authority for one month could and watched but then lost sight and daughter in the eye and whitewashed mikrine . Now I'm 18 years old, there is a chance to restore my eyesight transplant or in some other way.
can someone tell me if i can get a complete eye transplant i have artificial eye i dobt care if i can see out of it i just want to look normal or feel normal
who answers your posts havent got  help yet
I have been blind in my right eye since the age of 3, apparently the optic nerve has ceased to work as in my brain has switched it off! I had a little surgery when I was very young but nothing came of it. I am becoming increasing concerned as to the constant headaches I get and also a few other symptoms I suffer from. I am now looking for a solution to ultimately restore my sight as. It has been over 30 years since I had the accident and I would give anything to have my sight restored, please help!!
doc kng ang mata ay naoperahan n ng cataract, retinal detachment, at retinal buckling...may posibilidad pa po ba na magundergo ng eye transplant...thanks po
I was suffering from a form of double vision caused by laser surgery to my right eye that  was necessary because I am diabetic. An operation was carried out on the eye to correct the vision. When the eye recovered I found that the double vision was gone but I had lost the vision in the middle of the eye. I only had vision to the left of the eye. The eye has improved slightly over the years and I can now see blurred to the front and right side of the eye( left eye ) which hels keep me balanced and I suppose must help the sight in my right eye which is not brilliant but I can read and watch TV etc. I do not drive although I still have a license legally.
Following my six monthly check up I was told by the eye Doctor that the sight in the left eye will never get better than it is now. I live in hopes that something will be able to be done one day but in the meantime make the best of what sight I have and I am very grateful for.
i was curious about this,,someone that legally blind i have a glass eye from injury at 13 and different injury to other eye but have little vision in it is there any  way to help it or even transplant ? and i really dont know much about it all i have is my left eye but i had retinal transplant part of it but curious to know
My son is legally blind in his right eye. He basically only sees light in that eye. Would a cornia transplant correct his vision?
5 years ago i got stabbed in my right eye and lost it ive had a prosthetic eye ever since a friend of mine said that some doctors been working on it and it has worked in 90% of the ppl that it has been done to they regain full function of whatever eye was replaced but i cant find it she said it was on the news so my question is: has anyone else heard of it and has more info for me?
Hi sir i am albinism in both of my eyes i would like to do eyes transplant both of my eyes so i can se better need more information plz: my mail id is : ***@****
hi, thanks for your useful information.in this darkness of pessimism your information is a ray of hope.i have read the complete article after searching for it online.it was optimistic.hope the Russian doctor is true and his Alloplant becomes a great success in near future.once again thank you
Good Afternoon,
There is no such thing as a eye transplant... I am blind in my right eye for 25 years due to Diabetic Retinapathy.  But this is what we have been delt with so stay strong.  There is always someone who has it worse. :)  
I have a 20 year old who is blind in his Rt eye due to coloboma and corrected vision with glasses for his left eye.  We were always told that nothing could be done.  Now that he is older he is asking is there any new technology/surgery that could be done to restore vision?

I hope you still follow this subject. Here is the website of the leading Eye Clinic in Russia where professor Muldashev performed a miracle operation in 2000 on a blind woman and she gained some vision. I hope this information will be of some help. You can contact the clinic by filling forms on their site and emailing to them. All the best and good luck!
Dear doctor,
My brother got blindness in the middle age(40 years).
Consulted many doctors but not helpful. Even he has got ready for eye transplantation but doctors told that it is not possible as is related to nerves.
I would like to know what is the real problem behind and mainly its EFFECT on his CHILDREN(ie., hereditary).
I am older but have been blessed with sight. I would like to know more about donating my eyes for a child. I would like to leave something that could help a child withoutsight be able to see. I am 52 with failing health. I realize how precious sight is. I would like to be able to help a young person lead a more full life. How do you go about donating my eyes after my death, Please if anyone can give me information I would appreciate it. To many people need this help and I don't have alot to give. Please respond. Thank you, Eydie
hello Sir,

As  you said, puting new camera in place of old camera will not give clear picture..

I just want to know that. I just want to know whether we can transplant real eye to enclueated eye.no vision required but atleast that eye look and move like human real eye..
Since I am not happy with prosthetic eye which is very less movable.

can you guide me in such situation..

regards
Archana