Urinary Tract Infection Community
Is this a UTI?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Is this a UTI?

I received a call this week from my dr telling me I have a uti.  I had a routine screening for a few things things last week.  She prescribed Macrobid.  I have NO symptoms of a uti.  When I looked at the culture report it stated 50,000 - 100,000 colonies forming for Lactobacillus species.  After doing some internet research I am confused why she immediately prescribed antibiotics.  I bought an over the counter test and it showed trace leukocytes and no nitrite.  It is very unusual to have a real infection from this type of bacteria.  Any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
This is a gram positive bacteria present in the urinary tract, gastrointestinal system and female vagina.The presence of this bacterium in trace amounts is not a concern. Rapid multiplication can indicate infection. You have these in large numbers so antibiotic therapy may be needed. Drink plenty of water. If you are still concerned it is best to discuss it with your doctor. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!