Urinary Tract Infection Community
Stubborn UTI

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Stubborn UTI

I'm a normally healthy male, 28 years old, living in Canada. In mid-November 2012, I developed the following symptoms. 1) Frequent urination, 2) Urethral Burning.

Went to a clinic, and quick urinalysis revealed trace of blood in urine. Ran tests for Gonorrhea, Chlymdia, both were negative. Doctor suspected UTI, prescribed Sulfatrim for 7 days. It did not have any effect. Doctor asked me to wait a few weeks.

Went to another doctor since it was not going away, another urinalysis and blood in urine. She prescribed Cipro for 7 days. By day three of taking Cipro, I felt great, but day four my symptoms returned, and persisted. I finished the medication yesterday and doctor has asked to go for a urine culture on Jan 18.

I'm really frustrated and would appreciate any medical advice.

Tags: uti, burning
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The risk factors for UTI in males are sexual intercourse, use of spermicidal products, stones in kidney, changing sexual partners frequently, diabetes and childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due to obstruction. Inherited factors may be related to recurrent UTIs in few people. Drink plenty of water. Continuous or post-coital prophylaxis with low-dose antimicrobials or intermittent self-treatment with antimicrobials may be helpful in managing recurrent uncomplicated UTIs. You may discuss this possibility with your urologist. Further evaluation may be necessary if your urologist is suspecting structural and anatomic abnormalities of the urinary tract. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and best regards!