Urogynecology Community
Clear vaginal watery discharge

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Clear vaginal watery discharge

A year ago, I had an ablation and sling surgery.  After surgery, I battled a bacterial infection.   The last infection cleared up in June. Two weeks later, I started having excessive amounts of a clear watery discharge.  No odor.
Went to the doctor and they tested me for all STDs and infection.  Everything came back normal.  They sent me to an Obgyn.  They did a cystogram to check for a fistula and the results were normal.  I did have adenomyosis, large fibroid tumors in the uterus, and cysts on my ovaries.  The obgyn said the discharge could be from the fibroids or fallopian tube cancer.  They did a complete hysterectomy.  During surgery, the obgyn did a complete check of my bladder using dye.  Right after surgery, the clear watery discharge began immediately.  I was sent in for an IVP to check for a fistula.  The IVP showed everything as normal.

None of my doctors can tell me what it is from or what to do to get rid of it.  The discharge happens 24/7.  I go through over 50-60 overnight pads a week.  Sometimes it just leaks out, but most of the time it gushes/pours.  The gushing is so bad that the pad can't catch it all.  I have nothing left, but my vagina.  It's causing me extreme distress.  It's worse after I pee or when I pass gas.  The doctor said that could be from the pushing, which would cause it to discharge after gathering in the vagina.  

My primary care physician thinks it's glandular/hormonal.  Last week, he gave me a testosterone/estrogen shot and put me on daily proestrogene.  Nothing has changed.  My life has been at a stand still.  I am not sexually active and I haven't been for over a year.  I am drinking lots of water because I feel dehydrated all the time.  Physically, everything else is working fine.  Please help!
Please seek advice from a urogynecologist (this is the specialist of the pelvic floor area); although it is difficult to tell from your description whether or not there are other pelvic organ prolapse issues going on (a sling would be to repair a cystocele-bladder drop, a type of POP), a urogyn should be able to determine exactly what is going on. As much as I hate to say it, often when physicians other than urogyns perform bladder slings there are complications. It is not because the other physicians are not good physicians; the pelvic floor is an extremely intricate area with much structural tissue as well as many organs-it truly trakes a specialist to get it right. This does not sound hormonal or glandular at all to me, it sounds like something needs to be addressed or corrected. The pushing when eliminating should not cause this problem either if things were repaired properly. Please seek follow up by a urogyn. If you are not sure how to find one in your area, please send me a PM (private message) and I will help you locate one. It is doubtful this will go away on it's own.

The good news is that I truly believe a urogyn will be able to diagnose and address the issues going on. Hang in there Dallas, I do feel once you see the proper physician, your body will get balanced again.

Sher
Thanks Sherri!  This happens even when I don't push.  It's like having a heavy period all the time, yet it's water.  It's not urine.  They've put dye in my bladder and then later xrayed a tampon.  It was completely wet, but wasn't urine.  That's why they are looking into it being glandular.
This is something very unique, I'm going to run it past a physician I know who is a hormone guru and see what she has to say-I'll let you know when I hear back from her.
Sure hope they get to the bottom of it!

Sher
Thanks Sherrie!!!  It's hard staying positive when doctors are pulling straws.  Everytime a test comes back normal, I get more depressed.  I just want an answer.
Boy I know that feeling. Hang in there kiddo, I'm hopeful something will fall into place soon-not knowing is the worst part.
Update...Went to urologist.  He's never seen this before.  Used a scope to look for a fistula.  Didn't find one.  He thinks it is neurological.  He looked at my medical history and thinks it is caused by MS.  Here's the other symptoms....my eye doctor says my eyes are not producing tears.  I also have severe dry mouth.  I get dizzy and nauseaus throughout the day.  When the water is really gushing, my headaches really bad.  I have arthritis that started this year.  I have severe nerve problems in both arms.  The symptoms come and go.  I am constipated.  He said I have no flexibility in my ankles, which is a symptom.  Argh!

Another doctor thinks it is liver disease.  Tomorrow, I go in for blood tests for liver disease.

While all this is going on, I still have water gushing.  I'm starting to get scared because this has been going on for 7 months now.  I just want answers and there isn't a doctor who really knows what is going on.  If anyone has ever heard of this before....please post!!!
I have MS Summer and if they do discover that is what is going on, I'll be able to make some suggestions by PM on that front. Symptoms can be so variable with MS, can come and go and change all the time. Typically when symptoms are pronouced they do not go away quickly so that may be a way you'll be able to determine if that is what is going on. I assume you are seeing a neurologist next. If not I would suggest you seek advice from an internist, they are the physicians that can figure out the cases that are difficult to diagnose.

Start a diary of your symptoms, track time/day/symptom/how long they last (days/weeks). Track your fatigue as well, if this is MS you should have some pronouced fatigue issues.

Hang in there, Iknow it is so frustrating to feel sick and not have an answer but you are doing all the right stuff to get it figured out. Since this may be MS related, if you have questions on that front, please send me a PM instead of posting on the Urogyn forum, with the additional symptoms you've mentioned I no l longer think this is POP related. I'll do whatever I can to help you figure it out. There is an MS forum on MedHelp as well if you prefer to take a peak at that for insights. No matter what, keep digging until you find the answers!

Sher
My dad's brother died from MS so it's scary to hear this.  I have been keeping a diary, which is why the urologist came to this conclusion.  I have major fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea.  I've had the tremors and cramping in my arms/hands since 2000.  The tremors come without notice, especially when I'm trying to do detailed stuff.  Now, I am having jumpy legs.  Tomorrow, I see my primary physician.  If he doesn't take this serious, I'm going to make an appointment with an internist and a neurologist without his help.

The urologist put me on a med for incontinence even though I don't have it.  He thinks it may help since everything down there is tied together.
I'm so happy to hear that you are going to pursue this whether your primary thinks something is going on or not; all too often people with MS go undiagnosed for a long time, shifting from dr to dr, trying to find an answer. With MS being in the family, it does increase your risk factor but know that there is hope-I was told I'd up in a wheelchair and I have few problems since I figured out what to do to balance my body.

There is a product available online that I think might be of benefit to you for the incontinence (it's a device you insert vaginally). I'm going to PM you with this info.

Hang tough! PM coming!
Sher
I came across the watery blood vagina discharge . My period ended 3 days ago and 2 days ago when i went to the toilet when i pee there's watery blood with it. It's not much but it's kind of worrying. Went to do a urine test yesterday and everything was ok . So they're sending me to a urologist. I'm really nervous of meeting him. Weird enough there's no pain involved except for very mild cramps. For the last 2 years i've had histories of getting my period twice a month but i think it's due to hormonal imbalance because of all the rheumatoid meds i've been taking.
Hi, how are you feeling now ?
Do a search engine on the meds you are taking one at a time coupled with the words "side effects" to see if it is related to meds.