Urogynecology Community
How rare is it to be born without the clit, hood and inner labia

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

my question is how rare is it to be born with these missing parts?

I googled and saw this forum, and decided to join with my questions as well.

I was over 40 when I found out that I didn't have a clit, a hood, or an inner labia. I was astounded that NO ONE ever told me that I was missing these parts. I have never seen a vagina but in risque books, but assumed they were the minority not me. I went to my gyno and the midwife told me that she could find no clitoris. and she saw no scarring. I asked her if by chance I could have been circumcized, and as I said, she said she never saw scarring, my thinking was they may have blended.

I would love to know how that I could find out, I tried looking for my medical records of when I was a child, and could not. I asked all my living relatives and they knew nothing of it. So I am on my own.

I do remember an intense extreme burning down there when I was about five, but assumed that it came from a rape that I had a memory of occuring..

I had 2 normal babies, and my daughter had the flaps I call them, the inner labia.

I though am slick, nothing upon opening my outer labia exists but two holes urethra and vagina. Inside my urethra however is a bulb sort of thing that gets stimulated at times.

Hang in there, still digging into this one-hope to have some thoughts for you tomorrow.
Sher
Hi there,,just a few thoughts,,first Im so sorry you were raped, it sounds like this happened as a child correct? if yes Im thinking the clit could be under tissue that was caused from the physical trauma. like scar tissue, which is not always visable from top layer of skin,( which most people think..not true)  

Im really suprised your gyn/ob never even mentioned this to you. It sounds as though this may be your normal, everyones anatomy is different...it would be a birth deffect...You have been able to have children. And it sounds like your able to enjoy sex. The bump you mention in vagina is called the G spot....it is pleasurable to touch and enables orgasm, either by self stimulation or intercorse.

If its important to you to find out if you do indeed have a clitoris under skin, you would need to apeak with dr...it sounds like your having a normal life and I have a saying...Don't fix what is not broken...you may not have these parts but your every inch a woman.

Cherie
Sorry for delay sally, so glad Cherie got some thoughts off to you. I really don't think you were circumsized; if you had been you would probably have no sensation or pain. I am happy that you do have some sensation and are able to enjoy sexual relations despite the rape at an extremely young age.

From what I understand, there is a HUGE difference from woman to woman in this department. Sometimes the inner lips appear as a barely visiable thin ridge; other times, they're thick folds of skin. They can run nearly vertical, or can swing wide around the vaginal opening before fusing again at the bottom so I have to assume that the range can run from almost flat, nothing visable there to large inner flaps.  The edges can be smooth or wrinkly. The clitoral hood may be an almost flat part of the inner labia (or in your case not even visable) or it may poke out more, pointing in a different direction. Sometimes the hood is short, and the inner lips open right near the top of the outer labia; other times, the clitoral hood will extend further and the lips won't really begin till halfway down or more.

Have you examined yourself when standing up  or have you just been examined by the midwife when lying down? Where are your estrogen levels at, with shortage of estrogen, the "plumpness" of our female tissues disappears a bit.

I am amazed that a gyno has never mentioned this to you b/4 now if you are missing parts, particularly after you've given birth twice. . But if you have no pain and still have some sexual sensation, I wouldn't worry about it-my opinion for whatever it is worth is you were simply born with smaller parts. As a woman who has always been on the "short side" of estrogen, I have to admit that my feminine tissues are not the most robust. The most important thing here is that you are comfortable and enjoying your intimate relationship with your partner.

Good luck with your exploration of this aspect of your body, I hope you find all the answers you are looking for.

Sher
Thank you so very much for your responses. When I realized that I was missing these parts, I admit that I was a bit hysterical to some degree. I have never asked about other womens vaginas all that much and am very happy that it was clarified that almost all women are different. I read on the net after researching all of this and it wasnt totally clear, thanks again for clarifying this

Something else that I failed to mention was that I had urethra surgery years ago. I was having flow problems and had to be dilated several times. It was too painful so I was put to sleep so that the doctor could dilate my urethra to increase flow. After the surgery he told me that I had watery polyps that he had to remove and that "I had a LOT of scar tissue", as he quoted. this was before that I realized that I was missing parts or they were blended.

So, I had remembered the rape before this procedure. I knew that probably the rape was the cause of me not having a hymen. But, until I realized that I never had the other parts, I was never confused. I feel the rape caused a lot of anxiety, or fear of being alone problems in me over the years,

the whole story I was five. I was outside playing both my parents worked. My older sister was watching me, A neighbor's friend grabbed me and tried to penetrate me but it was too large and he stopped. I vividly remember this and the extreme burning. I remembering telling my sister, we told my mom and she didnt believe me or my sister. It was never discussed again. I seemed to block it out until I got older. I dont remember going to the doctor for the rape. Until I married at 20, I didnt have much pleasure at all with sex. And I am amazed to this day that no one ever noticed, but from now on if I have an uro, or gyno problem I am going to mention all this

again, thanks so much for your help

I am always so sad to hear when a child is abused and it is compounded by a mother not believing it-why on earth would a child make something like that up. I am so happy that you have recognized the anxiety and fears are tied to the abuse. The most important thing however is that you have been able to shift  forward and have a relationship and children; you have an amazing strong core.

Yes besides the damage to tissues from the rape, the scar tissue could come into play. You are right, it would be a good idea to mention this backdrop when you see a physician for consult in the vaginal area so they are up to speed with everything; the more info they have, the better they'll be able to treat you.

Good luck and kudos to you for being such a strong woman!

Sher
hi, i was googling for some answers about my own body and found your question.  Im 23 and about a year ago had a doctor tell me that i have no external clit, hood or labia.  i later saw a gyno who told me that i do actually have a clit, it is just burried under scar tissue.  i also have a long scar along where my clitoral hood would be.  i dont remember having an accident or surgery and my mother cant remember anything that could have caused this either.
the doctors ive seen dont seem to be able to give me any answers as to how this could have happened, but i am just wondering if it could have been caused by a rape early in life.  i have no memory of a rape or any other abuse but i have a slight suspicion of a family member.  i realise this is something i may never know for sure, but im just wondering if this is something that is common in child rape cases?
No this is not common in child rape scenarios, it is typically either result of circumcision (were you born in US?) or tissues were that way at birth; scar tissue from rape would be possible just less likely. The scars sound like they would be circumcision related, please dig more deeply in that direction and hopefully you will get some answers.
One or both of you ladies could have CAH, a congenital condition that can result in a lack of "normal" female external genitals, with a wide variety of appearances.  But this condition also affects your adrenal function.

Docs used to (and still do) "repair" this with surgery, and often parents are told to keep it a secret from the child because it could be "traumatic" to learn.
Thanks for your input on this Vintage, appreciate you sharing your insights! Will do some digging to learn more about CAH.

Sher
I have a friend with CAH and learned all about it from her.  It is in a group of congenital conditions which are generally called "hermaphrodism," but that is a scary term to most people.  The full term is congenital adrenal hypoplasia.

This is a politically charged issue because it affects gender identity, sexual orientation, and raises questions about medical ethics.  But there are thousands of women out there who don't even know that it's what they have, and if they do are too embarrassed to reveal it.

Two good books on the subject (and from different perspectives) are Hermaphrodites and the Medical Invention of Sex by A.D. Dregers (cover CAH and other related and unrelated conditions) and Fixing Sex by K. Karkazis.  Another related term is "intersex."

There is SO much variety in the world and so little most people don't know about anatomy, genetics, and sexuality!
Thanks so much for the info, I'm going to print off this info as well and put in my file. I'm very curious how the adrenal comes into play, going to have to do some research. I do appreciate you taking the time to share this with us!

Sher
You're welcome.  I found a forum on intersex conditions at another site when I was researching for my friend, and it's very, very common for people with these sorts of conditions to be completely uninformed about their own bodies.  Very, very sad when ignorance is forced upon someone about their own body.  I know that ties in with POP too, but imagine never knowing that a doctor completely obliterated the genitalia you were born with and carved it into something else that doesn't look like anyone else's and likely doesn't function at all properly either.  Then told your parents to never mention it to you.  
Yes, I think the not informing part is the worst of it...truly sad. How on earth can an individual adapt with no knowledge of what was done?
Hi I tried to find info on this subject as a friend of mine has the same condition. She was born without these parts also. My friend had three daughters and a son. The oldest daughter and the youngest daughter were both normal, however the middle daughter was born with no vagina at all. I was thinking that maybe it was something genetic.