Urogynecology Community
Pain from post op rectocele and rectal prolapse surgery

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

I had surgery to correct rectocele and rectal prolapse 5 weeks ago.  I am still in a great deal of pain (mostly internal burning).  I returned to the surgeon who performed for prolapse surgery, and she said I had developed an infection.  I am not taking 500 mg of Flagelle 3x a day in addition to Vicodin without seeing much relief.  Is it time for me to seek out a second opinion or are these results to be expected with this type of surgery?

Typically at 5 weeks your pain should be well under control; every person is individual in how they handle pain, especially from surgery to the pelvic area. I do feel however that it would be in your best interest to seek a second opinion in this situation. Was type of physician performed the surgery? Rectocele repairs are often done by gastros, sometimes they are even performed by gynecologists, but a urogynecologist is truly the go-to specialist for any  pelvic organ prolapse issue. A urogynecologist is schooled in all of the intricacies of structure in the pelvic cavity.

Were any tests done to determine that you have an infection? Since this is a fresh surgical site, you will want to get the infection under control as quickly as possible so make sure to mention to the dr you call for a second opinion what the backdrop for appointment is so you get in as soon as you can.

It is also very important to balance your intestinal flora at this time, since the POP repair  you had involves the colon, you want to make sure you balance out the anti-bacterial medication by eating yogurt often. If you don't like the flavor of yogurt, you could buy the plain kind and add it into a smoothy to drink.

Good luck Ariane, I hope you get some resolution quickly!  If you don't know how to find a urogynecologist in your area, send me a PM (private message) and I can guide you with that.

Sher