Urogynecology Community
Rectocele/Bladder Suspension Surgery Help

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

I'm 44 and in pretty good health other than being over weight. In July, I had a total hysterectomy which took twice as long (2 hours verus 1 hour) due to weakened vaginal walls.  My doctor was to suspend my bladder as well but due to the weakened vaginal walls, he didn't.  I recovered from the hysterectomy with no problems and was back at work within 4 weeks.  He sent me to a urogynecologist for the bladder suspension and the weakened vaginal walls.  The urogynecologist determined I needed a rectocele along with the bladder suspension.  He is repairing the rectocele with mesh.  I've been reading comments/concerns when it comes to these surgeries and a lot have not been good.  I'm terrified of the recovery time and the pain associated with it.  Is there anyone out there that has had good experiences with a bladder suspension and a rectocele?  Thanks  
Tags: rectocele
Yes, in my mid 50s I had rectocele, cystocele, and enterocele repair. (Had a hysterectomy at 40.) My urogynecologist spent quite a bit of time answering my questions prior to surgery. She assessed my needs and lifestyle, since I am extremely active and exercise aggressively, we discussed use of mesh, pros and cons, and I do have quite a bit of mesh in me. My urogyn used an older "tried and true" mesh instead of one of the new types; I've had no problems. Yes the heal curve is lengthy, it was a 12 week heal curve for me (grade 3, all 3 types of POP repaired), first week is the roughest and you can figure on being pretty non-functional 2nd week as well. But I have not regretted the procedure for one minute and am very happy with the results. It did take a bit of time to regain sensation in the area.

I feel the most important thing to keep in mind is by starting out with a urogynecologist, you are way ahead of the curve. Many other physicians perform POP procedures, but since the structural tissues are so intricate in the pelvic cavity, it truly takes a specialist to increase the odds of things going smoothly. Many bad procedures are the result of physicians who are good physicians not well versed or experienced in POP procedure doing repair. Also issues with women not listening to their drs orders post surgery-when you are told stay on the couch the first week, stay on the couch. Same goes for no lifting. This can be an extremely intricate surgery.

Post surgery, if you follow drs orders things should go well. Know that the region will not feel normal for a while and test the water slowly. Listen to your body. NO LIFTING is vital!!!

Good luck, if you have more questions send them in, any more insights I can provide that will ease your mind I'd be glad to share!

Sher
Thank you for answering my question.  I pretty much knew what to expect with my hysterectomy as I have friends that have undergone them.  However, no one has experienced my issues.  I was a good girl...laid on the couch..no lifting, etc with my hysterectomy and therefore he released me to go to work after 4 weeks.  I teach high  school computers and have the option of either standing or sitting. Both my doctors (my gynecologist is assisting with the urogynecologist) seem to think I should be back on my feet after 2 to 3 weeks.  I don't know if that is doable according to some of the posts I've seen.  However, I know each of our surgeries is different and each of us heal differently too.  My surgery is next month so I can get an extra week for free with our Thanksgiving holiday.  I've had it set up since the first part of September and I have been terrified ever since.  You have no idea how much my fears have been relieved (yes, I've been praying too) knowing other women out there have had good experiences and would do it again as well.  Thank you so much.  Once I go through my surgery and recovery, hopefully I can help someone in my shoes.  THANKS!!!
You bet!

If you have any other questions as the date approaches or for that matter questions about "what is normal" after surgery, do not hesitate to give me a shout!

Sher