UTI
I am postmenopausal and had a bladder suspension using a sling with Dacron over 18 yrs ago.  I am now getting frequent UTI's.  I am not sexually active.  What can I do?
Hello, sorry to hear about your frequent Uti's. Do you know if your Uti's are recurring with the same bacteria or are they occurring with different bacteria?  The reason I ask you this is if it is the same bacteria causing your infections it could mean that the antibiotic is effective enough for that strain or you might need to take it longer.  You can find that info out by asking your doctor,assuming he sent the sample out for culture.  Cystitis ( bladder pain) can be caused by chronic infection and also by no infection.  In the case of the latter there maybe other causes such as IC ( intersistal cystitis) which can be helped in diagnosis with a cystography ( camera scope to see inside the urethra and bladder).  I suggest that you make an appt with a urogyne who can also address your previous bladder sling surgery to see if that is part of your frequent Uti's.  I am also post menopausal and experienced two Uti's after surgery.  I have been told that some women go through a period of Uti's during and after menapause.   A low acid diet seems to help as well as supplements targeted for the bladder.  Hope you get some long term relief soon.  Please let us know how things go.
Sorry, I meant to say your antibiotic is NOT strong enough, right type or not taken long enough!
Thanks for your suggestions.  I plan to see a urologist if I get another one soon.  My internist feels the antibiotic was correct.