Beauty & Cosmetics Community

facial waxing and allergic reaction?

After I have my face waxed (forehead, eyebrows, upperlip and sideburns), almost immediatly, my face turns red and welts appear.  It looks like my face was attacked by mosquitos or ants.  A lot of little bumps appear and they itch.  This happens every time I wax.  Sometimes more severe than others, but it still occurs.  I've taken benedryl afterwards, and it seems to help, but the next day, my face itches and the bumps are still there.  Is this an allergic reaction?  Additionally, the lady who waxed me said I had rosacea, but I've never been told that.  I'm fair complected with a few freckles, but my face is not red.  What can be done, if anything, to alleviate this from happening? Thanks!
Not much, it is typical for fair folks.  The good news is that the more you wax, hte less hair you have.
The exact same thing happenned to me!  I went for my first time and had all of my face done and I immediately broke out in white bumps all over!  The lady who waxed me said it was an allergic reaction to the wax and there are alot of people this happens to.  Let me know if you find out exactly what causes it.  Thanks
I dont think you are allergic to the wax, i think you have sensitive skin..i am an esthetician and there are many women that have this.  never get waxed right before your period or during...your blood will surface more quickly at that time.  Look for a spa/salon that uses a wax for sensitive skin.  also maybe suggest that they first treat your skin w/ vitamin e oil...the wax will less likely stick to your skin and only pull out the hair...lastly, ice it afterwards....to cover it up afterwards you might want to try a mineral based brush on powder and just put on enough to cancel out the red...good luck
I have recently developed the same reaction to waxing. And the fact that Benadryl (anti-histamine) makes it better ... leads me to believe that it's definitely an allergic reaction.

I have another friend who is allergic to all waxes that contain beeswax. Apparently there is a sugar based wax that she does not have any allergic reaction to. I'm going to try that myself as the hives I get are getting worse each time I get waxed. For me it's a little different b'c I've been getting waxed for over 15 years & have always had little red bumps that go away in a day or two. Never until the last year did I start getting hives, not just some red bumps (irritated hair folicles) ... but hives - itchy red bumps that go away when you take Benadryl.
I used to get really bad welting, redness, and itchiness everytime I got my eyebrows waxed. I tried every type of wax available, and sometimes the reaction would be less severe, but it never completely went away. Finally, someone suggested I use a hard wax, and that has never given me any sort of reaction. Eventually, it was suggested I may have an allergy to pine resin, which is found in most traditional waxes. Ask for a hard wax the next time you get waxed, and see if it makes a difference.
I get red bumps, they itch and my eye swell severly.  I have no idea what I am allergic to in the wax but this didnt start happening until 4 yrs ago.  One time my eyes swelled shut for 2 days.  ANY SUGGESTIONS??? (I have really thick eyebrows)
I just had the same experience - got a wax, was red for a day, then the next morning the eyes are swollen shut and have scabs.  What can I do to minimize the appearance of this, or maybe help encourage repair of the broken skin?????
I have had the same problem. My bumps do not itch but they are left in all the places i have waxed. How can I get rid of them?
I just got my cheeks waxed today, and my sides broke out in severe bumps about the size of a pinkynail, after 5 hours it finally calmed down a bit but still looks kinda lumpy. I think im probably allergic to the wax as well..anyways if your eyes are swelling up as a result of waxing eyebrows, the best method is to try eyebrow threading, its just as efficient as waxing-giving you a smooth hairless finish. the beauticians use a thread to cut away at the hairs just below the surface-and thats all to it. Ive been getting my eyebrows threaded since last year. although it might irritate the skin slightly-you know, thread burns, but they clear away sooner than wax allerges =)
The swelling can be caused, if you have sensitive skin. Soothing gel helps calming the skin. I have the same problem but now I use gel after Sondarya recommended me
Sondarya provides Eyebrows threading and other skin care services in Andover and surrounding towns in Boston, MA. Reach her at http://www.healthnspa.com
To Catt:
Thread doesn't cut the facial hair but pulls it from the root.  So far this method has been the best for me and I don't breakout as I would with the wax.
"After I have my faceFace pain waxed (foreheadForehead lift
Forehead lift - series, eyebrows, upperlip and sideburns), almost immediatly, my faceFace pain turns red and welts appear.  It looks like my faceFace pain was attacked by mosquitos or ants.  A lot of little bumps appear and they itchBiliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch
Causes of vaginal itching
Dry skin
Eye burning - itching and discharge
Eyelid twitch
Folliculitis
Itching
Jock itch
Muscle twitching
Nipple discharge - abnormal
Rotator cuff tendinitis.  This happens every time I waxWax blockage
Wax blockage in the ear.  Sometimes more severe than others, but it still occurs.  I've taken benedryl afterwards, and it seems to help, but the next day, my faceFace pain itchesBiliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch
Causes of vaginal itching
Dry skin
Eye burning - itching and discharge
Eyelid twitch
Folliculitis
Itching
Jock itch
Muscle twitching
Nipple discharge - abnormal
Rotator cuff tendinitis and the bumps are still there.  Is this an allergicAllergic conjunctivitis
Allergic reactions
Allergic reactions to medication
Allergic rhinitis reactionAllergic reactions
Allergic reactions to medication
Dermatitis, reaction to tinea
Drug allergies
Febrile/cold agglutinins
Insect bite reaction - close-up
Intradermal allergy test reactions
Positive reaction to allergen
Transfusion reaction?  Additionally, the lady who waxed me said I had rosaceaRhinophyma
Rosacea, but I've never been told that.  I'm fairFair skin cancer risks complected with a few freckles, but my faceFace pain is not red.  What can be done, if anything, to alleviate this from happening? Thanks!"

WELL WELL ive jus got the solution for it i went to the beautision today for exactly what had happen to me on the above information. i was told by the beauty therapist and way i happen is beause u have open pores so in this case you should wash your face thourghly with cold and hot water several times before waxing also it could be that you have sensitive skin. next point could be the reason that the wax used should be changed and it is not the right one for your skin also if the case is that, wich is for me i have got the red horrible spots for nearly 4 days to see a doctor and also am not quite sure but there is something like five facials altogether with mush more for this skin type and it clenses deep within your skin, give u sparkling glow, keeps it moisturiesd and lots more and the roughly cost for this is about £100. (cyrstal clear) wel i would update u on how this goes because i am going to get this done fingers crossed for me and gud luck...
I just had my first waxing (eyebrows and upper lip) by my cousin yesterday.  I so regret it.  I now have itchy red bumps on my upper lip and between my eyebrows.  How can I soothe them and make them go away.  I have a Dr.'s appt. in a few hours and I don't want him to think something else is terribly wrong with me. Does anyone have a good home remedy.  I have tried aloe and now I am trying hydro cortisone cream.  Nothing seems to be helping.  
I had my eyebrows "sugared" on Tuesday, my brows at the sides are still so swollen, it looks like I need to have a eyebrow lift! Also had redness and lumps between my eybrows, although that has diminished somewhat. I would reccommend threading for anyone who has had these reactions, or just plain old plucking, I won't have it done again.
I've been using aloe, and cucumbers for the swelling, hydrocortosone made it itch more.
Hi- I got my eybrows and upper lip waxed yesterday. I have had this done many times and usually I get a little red and it goes away about a day or so later- but it is honestly not too bad. BUT yesterday my face was burning very bad and very very red. THE WORST PART IS I AM GETTING MARRIED IN ONE WEEK.  I washed with Cetaphil, Iced it last night for a while and also I  keep putting Neosporin on it. When i woke up this morning it was still red- a little better but still red. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH MUCH APPREICATED.
THANKS.
I also get bumps, redness and itchy, burning skin in different combinations or all together when I have my eyebrows waxed or threaded.  I would recommend putting something like oil or cocoa butter( only if you react well to them usually) to soothe the skin before you go to the salon to get your eyebrows waxed or threaded. And, afterwards using ice. For me putting anything heavy or oily after the bumps already appear usually makes it more irritated. For SAMS418, first of all congrats on your wedding. My sister also developed skin irritations right before her wedding and she put milk (actually the fat that rises to the top when you boil milk) on the red skin for about 20 minutes and they went away the next morning. I would also try washing the irritated area with milk. It's always works for me when everything else fails. Hope this helps!
you are probably allergic to the wax, and yes you can be allergic to it.  you can ask your spa if they have waxes that are not bee's wax based (i.e. fruit or vegetable based).  I my reaction was very severe and my eyes were swollen shut.  my beautician now uses fruit or vegetable based waxes and i have no reactions at all. hope this helps
You know when you get your ear pierced, they put something on them immediately after to take the burn away? Would that not work when you get waxed? I know when you do shave the bikini line and it gets irritated, an antipersperant applied immediately keeps the burning, itch and bumps from developing.
I believe all the women who are having problems with facial waxing, should probably look into threading for hair removal. I am an Esthetician, I do threading and it never has had a bad rep. Also pay attention to what the person is doing to you, some people don't prep the face, as in cleasning the area being waxed/threaded, another thing make sure the use something afterwards to close the pores, astringent! I checked out my competition and alot of them don't to the pre & post treatments, they go straight to applying the wax!
HELP yesterday i waxed my face i done it myself with cold wax the only thing i had at home at that time.
I've come out with a reaction to it, red inflammed spots,itchy are was swallon since yeaterday but has carmed down i suppose that was because i didn't give it 24 hours and i washed my face with soap in the morning.

Am i going to come out with acars? i'm soo worried i don't know if i've messed my face up an also if anyone could help me please how longsoes it take to clear.

I called my bueatician an she recommended i don't put anything on my face to clear the irritation and the inflammation..she suggested i give it atleast seven days an then see the gp
An to all wemon on the site i would suggest stick to threading the best way of removing hair without causing any sort of side effects. It hurts at the beginning but you'll get use to, to the pain.

I read on the net about waxing an how good it is in the long run yep i agree it is good on the long run! it decreases the hair growth which everyone knows but when used on the face it seems to cause irritation.
this happened to me, but for some reason i think it was the oil that was put on afterward. so i put on alcohol, and they're not itchy any more and the redness is going away.
I got my face waxed and developed redness and acne like spots , i feel the best way is to rub your skin with ice cube soon afetr the waxing .
also appy lactocalamine or antiseptic lotions suiting your skin type.
I recently had my upper lip waxed. By the 2nd day I had 5-6 pimple-like bumps on may upper lip. To ease the itchyness, I tried using Neosporin and or Benydryl Cream. Now my entire lip is inflammed, sore, raised with bumps, oozes, and is trying to scab over. HELP!!!! I think I might have added fuel to the fire. So much pain and it looks HORRIBLE. Should I see a doctor??????
When I get my eyebrows done my ears itch its kind of weird..they dont itch all day after just during the process