Brain Health Community
691 Members

Dizzyness exacerbated by physical activity

Hello, i'm an 18 year old male in desperate need of a solution for this phenomena. Since Feburary-March this year I started to feel a slight dizzyness during medium to high intensity physical activity. I asked around and i thought maybe its a drop in my blood sugar, so then i started to have some chocolate, snakes etc before physical activity. Nothing. I thought maybe its some sort of dehydration so i bloated myself with water before working out. Nothing. I then decided to stop working out, but soon i started to feel this "veritgo" sensation without any physical activity. I went to my GP and he prescribed me surc (for circulation problems) and after that not working (used 2 times a day then bumped upto 3 times a day). I was referred onto an ear, nose and throat specialist as the GP thought it was vertigo. When i visited the specialist he quickly concluded that it wasn't vertigo and it was a circulation problem, however he opted to do a CT scan and a balance test just in case which came back all clear. Now the reason i'm posting this now is that as of the past couple of weeks this sensation is being caused by low intensity physical activity - no longer medium or high intensity needed. The results of me not being able to do any physical activity has been a major factor in leading to me being diagnosed with major depression and social anxiety disorder mid July this year, i'm on 10mg estciolpram daily. The feeling is like a dizzyness where objects are spinning, my vision becomes slightly impaired and intense light will make it worse. The only way to stop it from happening is laying down and sleeping it off. I need help. Please any suggestions i will do. Anything at all just please i want to be able to do physical activity again... The ear nose and throat specialist said he cannot help me, my GP has stupidly represcribed me on surc which is not helping. I've hit s brick wall.
To help restore some balance to lungs,heart and brain try this for up to 20 minutes, three times day. Alternate nostril breathing (keep eyes closed) - breathe  in from one  nostril and out from the other. After you breathe out, breathe back in from same nostril. Iniitially if you feel dizzy, stop and resume after one minute - but do pursue.
Please come back with your feedback, so others can benefit.
Ostober 20, 2015
Have you been evaluated for migraines?  Because what you are going through kind of sounds like that.  I have migraines, and some of my attacks are just as you describe, with either no headache at all or sometimes just a slight headache.  It might be time to visit a neurologist, and see if the neurologist thinks you are having migraines.  Some people refer to a migraine without a headache as a "silent migraine."  Good luck on getting this figured out, but that's what I would investigate next:  migraines.
I'm afraid of hitting a brick wall and not being able to find any treatment or cure for migraines. Nonetheless, i'll still try it!
Good.  Let us know what you find out.
Can definitely be migraines.
There is a book, Heal Your Headache, by Dr. David Buchholz, that is extremely helpful for migraine sufferers.  On page 170, he talks about that fact that a lot of chronic vertigo patients are actually having migraines.  Many of those folks are misdiagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and fail to respond to treatment for that, but oftentimes they do respond to treatment for migraines.  Also, after responding to your post, Pkersdemise, I googled physical activity + migraine, and it seems that exercise is a migraine trigger for some people.  

BTW, I think you're safe in calling this experience vertigo, regardless of what the ENT specialist said.  Vertigo is defined by the symptoms, not by the cause.  When the ENT doc said you weren't having vertigo, I believe what he or she may have meant is that your symptoms aren't caused by an inner ear  problem.  But feeling that the environment is spinning around you is vertigo, and that's the word that I would use in talking to doctors, because that gives them a starting point in understanding what you are going through.  

It's usual for all medical tests to be normal for migraine patients.  Migraine is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that everything else is ruled out, so you must be having migraines.  It can be hard to get a diagnosis, for that reason:  all your tests are normal.  It can be especially tricky to correctly identify migraines when your symptoms do not include headache, but that's still the next possibility I would consider.  I don't think your previous tests and consultations were a waste, because everything other than migraine has to be ruled out.   Again, good luck.  
Amen to that.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.