Cancer in Pets Community
90 Members

Subcutaneous fluids & cancer

Hi. I have a question about the type of subcutaneous fluids to use in a cat with cancer. My 16 year old cat was recently diagnosed with Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the bladder. The tumor was successfully removed through surgery, and she now receives Mitoxantrone every 3 weeks (total of 5 doses). A year and a half ago, she was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, and has been receiving 50ml subcutaneous fluids at home every second day (0.45% Sodium Chloride and 2.5% Dextrose/Glucose) since diagnosis. My concern is that the glucose in the fluids will fuel the cancer cells. So I was thinking of switching to Lactated Ringers/Hartmann's solution. However, I read that the lactate in Hartmann's can also feed cancer cells (at least with Lymphoma). What is the most appropriate type of fluid to give a cat with bladder cancer? We also have to keep sodium levels down, due to CKD, and also her mild Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I'd be keen to discuss any of your suggestions with my vet. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Regards, Lis.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.