How to transport an AZ patient from DE to GA?

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2003 but we believe she had been suffering for a year or two before that. She is currently in a Sunrise facility in Wilmington DE and I need to move her to a facility near me in the greater Atlanta area. My question is, has anyone moved an AZ or dementia patient a long distance like that and what are your suggestions for making the move as smooth as possible? I'll take any tips or suggestions you have to offer.

My mother can not speak and is not oriented to much of anything. However, she can stand a move a bit and is not on oxygen. She really does not recognize anyone but some faces of her aids do seem familiar to her.

Thanks for your help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would not use an ambulance. A relative should go with her. She may be scared. She should ride in a van type vehicle with a nice reclining seat behind the driver with someone next to her holding her hand constantly. If she has a favorite doll, bring it. Give her, lots of hugs. Even though you may THINK she doesn't understand explain carefully the reason for the trip, how far she is going and how long it will take. If she is nervous you  might ask the physician for a prescription for a valium.  Play her favorite music as you travel and bring a dozen flavors of different beverages and small plastic cups.Hot chicken soup in a thermos. All her meds. Plan rest stops. Bring bananas, and soft snacks. Diapersif needed. In pretty places stop to get out, let her view and talk to her.

Avoid air conditioning. An open window is better.

Make sure you have copies of all of her medical records from the previous facility. Don'tleave her cane, walker, wheelchair behind.
Helpful - 0
Have you transported someone with AZ a long distance before? Her hospice coordinator is recommending that we fly her to Atlanta rather than drive. I plan to contact company that provides her private duty aids to see if we can hire her favorite person to accompany her on the trip with me and then pay to fly her back after we transport mom.
Helpful - 0
The airplane is the best way to go .
It is quick, and the Aides know just what to do ,so do not worry, it will go just fine  luck  jo
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Caregivers Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life