Caregivers Community
222 Members

spouse with depression

I everyone. I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me. My husband has depression and its slowly dragging me down with it. I feel like we're housemates more then husband and wife. He refuses to get medical help cause he cause he had "always ridden it out" he's had depression since he was a child and so have his 2 siblings (terrible parents) but I feel as though this time he is worse and it has been going on for a long time, over a year. I love him to peices and I would never ever leave him. I just need to feel like I'm not on my own here
I completely understand your situation. My dad has always lived with depression and often times the medication he takes doesn't work. I also suffer from depression and I am also on medication. Men are very stubborn and I think they dont go for treatment is to them it may be a sign of weakness. If it's been over a year and your husband thinks it needs more time to ride thru this its going to keep getting worse. I might suggest you call his family dr the next time he is scheduled to go and call a day before and have the nurse tell his dr what has been going on. Then the dr can bring it up and offer to put your husband on medication.  Also some medicine can cause depression. I also would sit down with your husband and tell him what u told us " it is bringing you down as well"
I wish you luck.
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life